setback after 2 month post LIS, fissurectomy and tag removal

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

setback after 2 month post LIS, fissurectomy and tag removal

Postby skumar » 11 Feb 2014, 05:58

I am so down with this setback. It started with trying to live normally after doc visit. My doc said try to live normally. I ate outside and that was oily food. Now cursing myself why did I do it otherwise I was doing good. Anyone in the same boat? Is this normal? I am back to getting scared again.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: setback after 2 month post LIS, fissurectomy and tag rem

Postby suzyljank » 11 Feb 2014, 13:14

Hi, I understand where you're coming from. On my last visit to my CRS after surgery, I think it was like 2 months after or so, I had a long talk with my him. He told me to go live my life too but there were some exceptions. I'm to make sure I have fiber in my diet and I continue on miralax once a day or every other day, whatever works for me. He also wanted me to wait a year before I went back to riding my bike and to continue the daily dilation. When you have surgery in the anal area it will never be exactly the same. There are a lot of nerves there and changing the landscape in anyway makes things a little different. It depends on how much trauma you've had in that particular area. He said it wouldn't be uncommon for the area to ache sometimes or get irritated more easily but all in all I should do good. I've found all of what he said to be true. I have IBS too and if I get too much diarrhea the area will ache. If I get too much pressure before a bm it will also cause the area to ache but as soon as I go I'm fine. You'll have to make little adjustments in your life. Find out what works for you and stick with it. I don't think things will ever be truly back to normal but they are so much better than before. Just take a deep breath and take one day at a time. As far as being scared, I don't think that ever goes away. After the ecuritating pain of a fissure, it's always in the back of your head that it might happen again. One of the most important things to remember is to keep your bms soft and avoid constipation at all costs. Basically just take care of yourself. Good luck skumar. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby skumar » 12 Feb 2014, 06:59

Thanks Suzy. You always come for my rescue. My doc is a good surge. But he does not talk about these small things which makes a huge difference for the recovery. My big mistake could be that I listened to him and weaned of all stool softners. I guess I need to understand my body because doct would not know everything. My main problem is I don't finish the complete BM and next day it becomes tight.colace does not work for me. Any suggestions?
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby PompeyBloo » 12 Feb 2014, 09:14

Hi Skumar
I am hoping I have managed to heal naturally after help from Diltiazem. My CRS says that keeping stools soft is the key and he advised that I should stay on Movicol (Miralax in US) for the forseeable future - perhaps forever! I find this works wonderfully for me. On the odd occasion when I miss a day I supplement it with a tablespoon of mineral oil which lubricates the passage. one final tip which I got from this site. If you are one of those like me who often has to push to start or finish a BM try blowing your nose. This creates just enough push without straining which we must avoid at all costs.
I hope this helps and that you are soon back on that healing path.
Allan
PompeyBloo
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 14 Feb 2014, 15:05

Hi skumar, I would suggest miralax. I take that at bedtime. Before surgery I was taking almost 2 capfuls. Since surgery I was taking 3 tsps. but recently that's too much so I've cut it back a bit to 2 tsps. One thing you will notice after surgery, at least for me. The skin around the anus can stay sensitive for a long time and it can also become quickly irritated. I find if I have diarrhea a lot to too many bms it will irritate things. Not as bad as before but just enough to let you know to be gentle. Good luck Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby vdb324 » 19 Feb 2014, 23:20

Suzy, did your LIS go okay with your IBS? I am concerned about that with my upcoming LIS in a week.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby suzyljank » 20 Feb 2014, 12:14

Hi, the LIS surgery itself went ok even with IBS never took an narcotic pain meds after that but it didn't work for me. When I had my advancement flaps I was afraid the IBS would make it harder to recover but it didn't. It does however really irritate the area sometimes. Diarrhea or frequent bms can irritate a normal butt so I can understand that it can make a tender area ache too. For me the worst thing is if you get an explosive type of bm. The pressure that can build in the area before you finally have a bm is not so good. I think it's because it presses so hard on the surgical area. Once I go it goes away. I was told once you've had anal surgery or any trauma in the rectal area it can remain sensitive because it's not the same. Go for the surgery sooner than later. The scar tissue that can build up from a fissure tearing and healing and tearing can make your life miserable and if you let it go to long like I did the flap surgery was my only option. LIS is not a bad surgery. I hope you have a great outcome and can finally get on with life. All the best Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby vdb324 » 20 Feb 2014, 20:33

Thanks, Suzy. Your situation sounds very similar to mine with the pressure being the cause of bothering the fissure the most. Also, as a woman and having IBS, did you have any problems with incontinence? This is my biggest fear, and I've been losing sleep over it. I haven't seen/heard from too many people who have IBS and had LIS done.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 21 Feb 2014, 16:11

Hi, try not to worry about the incontinence, the risk is really low. Some people will pass gas with no control for a little while but it's nothing to worry about. After I had my advancement flaps done I had no real control for 2-3 days but as soon as the skin started to attach itself it was fine. They warned me it might happen but I was still a surprised. I guess it doesn't happen much with a single flap. Try to look at the situation as the first step to getting better. It really helps. LIS is really just a small cut to relieve the spasming.. the spasming is what stops the blood flow to the area and once the blood returns you have a much better chance of your fissure healing.. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby vdb324 » 21 Feb 2014, 21:43

Thank you for the extra reassurance. I am about a week now, so I am getting a little anxious.
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist