make it easier!

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: make it easier!

Postby owmybum » 21 Feb 2014, 03:21

Wishing you the best of luck and a speedy recovery...... Keep us posted!

OMB xxxxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby hoonoo » 21 Feb 2014, 15:51

Just got home and ate a bit of squash mashed with guacamole and am laying on the bed with a cold pack on my butt, waiting for AJ to come home from the drugstore with my meds. At the moment I feel heat and a bit of pressure but no actual pain... Am hoping to take pain meds very soon before the anesthesia wears off too much.

I know usually people are concerned about constipation from pain meds but I don't really care right now! Even after fasting and doing 2 fleet enemas this morning, I had diarrhea almost immediately after waking up from surgery! I had never even thought to worry about that, hah. When I mentioned to the nurse that I felt the urge to go, she said it was probably just gas and was more concerned about my ability to urinate. 10 minutes later the urge was very... Well, urgent! And I did have to pee and have a very loose bm... Then 5 minutes later, another one :( I asked the nurse if that was ok, should I do a sitz bath when I get home, shower, etc? She said to just follow the instructions, which say to leave the bandage on until tomorrow.

So I don't know. Too much fiber? Too much miralax? Stress? Period poops? Reaction to anesthesia? I have no idea! All I know is that I don't want to poop anymore today, and I'm worried about infection in the surgery site, which I can't see.
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby hoonoo » 22 Feb 2014, 13:27

It was a long and painful night, lots of waking up to ouch and take medicine. Early this morning I got up to pain and tried to eat and take meds but was too nauseous and threw up twice. Took a brief sitz bath followed by some time in the shower. Dried with a hair dryer and applied the antibacterial ointment. Laid down with netflix to wait for the nausea to pass and fell into a light sleep, pain levels low... When suddenly... The f!?$(!! cat launches himself across my body with my ass his launch pad... Bad kitty! Needless to say, ouch, and also he isn't allowed in my room right now!

No BM yet. I'm eating my super-fiber diet, drinking water, taking miralax... My surgery instrux say to take mineral oil and a stimulant laxative... Just getting ready to start the laxative.

Feeling better with just the anti inflammatory than with the heavy pain meds... Hoping this is a steady improvement because I really want to lay on my side for a while :)
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby hoonoo » 23 Feb 2014, 18:59

Before bed last night I took the recommended dulcolax, and it worked - boy, did it! Had 3 separate watery bum within an hour of waking up, complete with shower rinse. They were very watery thanks to miralax, and soft thanks to my diet. In all, not nearly as bad as I had pictured. Had a bit of burning after but was able to manage it with a cold pack. So I guess the constipating effects of the pain meds can be managed with the right combination of diet and stool softeners. I'm not going to take any more dulcolax, though... It was uncomfortable to pass so much liquid in such a short time.

I'm having a bit of pain - maybe a 1-2 - and in good spirits today. Spent much of the day watching Portlandia and had a great nap. Starting to relax... Surgery is over, first bm happened and wasn't terrible, now to just stick to my diet and miralax and keep a good hygiene regimen, and a positive attitude focused on healing!
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby hoonoo » 25 Feb 2014, 08:26

Moving forward in the healing process but still very much needing the meds to manage the pain. I'm taking ketorolac, an anti-inflammatory pain killer, 3x per day and I have one day left. Also was given superstrong dilaudid for pain but they make me sick. I need to find out if I can take aleve after I run out of ketorolac, otherwise I will be taking the dilaudid.

As long as I take the meds, I feel ok - minimal pain when standing, walking, lying on my stomach. Lying on my side is often possible, too. However, I do keep waking up in the middle of the night to a stinging, itching pain in the area where the stitches are. It's too sore to touch and there is moisture in the area. Showering helps, but usually isn't enough. The heating pad also helps relax the area.

Yesterday's BM happened in the late afternoon and was super soft. Had a shower after and then it was dinner/meds time. Woke up at 3:30am to pain and ended up having another soft BM, followed by a shower and more meds.

So the good: bms are happening regularly, no constipation, the meds are working to manage the pain; I'm still in good spirits

The not-so-good: I'm still needing meds to manage pain, and am almost out of them; I'm waking up in the night with pain
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Feb 2014, 11:58

Good for you, WhoKnew, you are doing really well. Congratulations on keeping the BMs soft! Even more congratulations on keeping up your spirits!
Hopefully you can use Aleve when you've used up your ketorolac. If not, maybe they will prescribe you more? You don't want to take a painkiller that makes you sick.
Hang in there!
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby leanne27 » 26 Feb 2014, 04:56

I'm hoping you're winning on the pain management side. I am excited for you that this should be the beginning of proper healing as opposed to ongoing pain with the hope of improvement. Hang in there!
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby hoonoo » 26 Feb 2014, 13:48

Last night I decided to try not taking the last ketorolac, just to see how long I can make it without meds... I made it to 4am and woke to an irritated, stinging butt. The discharge from the healing wound really irritates the skin back there, which makes the wound itself hurt more. So I showered, ate half a banana, took the last ketorolac, laid back down in bed... And realized I had to poop. So then I got back up, had a soft but very uncomfortable bm, took another shower, and finally got a few more hours sleep. Pain today is slightly higher than yesterday, not surprising as I'm switching to Aleve. My doc office said its fine to do that, and so far it's manageable. I'm working on keeping good air flow to the area, drinking water, miralax, and good diet. Ate some ice cream last night, and it was so good, but may have been the reason the bm this morning was so extra-uncomfortable.
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby hoonoo » 28 Feb 2014, 15:41

It's been a painful couple of days. Nothing I can't manage with pain meds, but aleve is not cutting it. So now I'm back on the pain meds constipation wrestling mat with my secret weapon: miralax, and my super-secret weapon: mineral oil, and my super-duper-secret weapon: no more ice cream. Yesterday morning I had a smallish and totally unformed bm, took pain meds and scaled back on the miralax. This morning I went to have a bm and spent an hour sitting there while these semi hard pieces slowly crawled out, then it felt like some got stuck :( 3 sitz baths and a shower later I'm back in bed still feeling like I had to go. Got up an hour later, had a warm glass of water, and finally: woooosh, success and soft consistency. So today, miralax spread throughout the day, and no sugar/ice cream.

I should have called this 'My Diary of Pooping'!
hoonoo
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 28 Feb 2014, 17:38

Awwww. That's a lot of no fun at all.
No sugar :cry:

I'm glad there was a "happy ending" though............better times will come, do not fear.
:Rock:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16