Getting better

(I think!) an update

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Getting better

Postby Newmommy28 » 06 Dec 2013, 09:36

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to post an update about what I've been doing to help heal this nasty fissure.

I've had it about a month and just started to feel some relief about 2 days ago.

First of all, I'm using Rectiv. I've only been using it a week but I really think it's helping. I didn't start to notice a difference with spasms lessening until about 2 days ago. I understand this ointment takes time. The only thing I don't like about it is it gives me headaches and makes me feel lightheaded. I'm probably going to start using half the recommended dose. I was using diltiazem for about 2 weeks and felt no relief, but I'm wondering now if it was because I wasn't paying close enough attention to diet and drinking water.

Secondly, I am drinking TONS of water. This has been difficult since I am a breastfeeding mom. I think I have to drink 3 times the normal fissure sufferer because of this. Breastfeeding also makes you constipated so that's why this is so important.

Third, I just started taking Olive Oil last night. I downed a tbsp- It was pretty gross but I had the best poop I've ever had in the past month. I'm wondering if this attributed to it.

Fourth, I tried using Desitin on my bottom after the 2nd bowel movement I had yesterday and you know what? It really gave me some relief! The stinging I usually get down there was short-lived.

Fifth, diet. For breakfast I do either Bob's Red Mill oats with blueberries, or Oat bran. I'll also snack on pears/apples/grapes. For lunch I'm eating a can of tuna fish and 2 slices Ezekiel bread toasted with coconut oil (I wouldn't recommended eating more than 2 slices bread per day- and it must be whole grain). For dinner I'll have either a cooked sweet potato, salad with slices of apple and baby kale, or lentil soup. There's one you can buy from the store that is Bob's Red Mill bran- it's called their veggie soup. Tons of fiber!

Lastly, I'm drinking Citrucel, just a teaspoon a day.

Anyway, I know I'm not out of the woods yet but I hope that my update may help someone else. Fissures are incredibly painful and very depressing. I'll continue to update.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Getting better

Postby Scientist2516 » 06 Dec 2013, 10:46

Great news, Newmommy!
Sometimes it can take a while to get everything together and working - diet, water, medication - but you've powered through that difficult time and it sounds as though you really are on the road to recovery.
Thanks for posting your tips!
:Rock:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Newmommy28 » 06 Dec 2013, 11:32

Thanks Scientist! I sure hope so!

I'm hoping that I can help someone else too.
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby havefaith » 27 Dec 2013, 12:57

Every time i read that someone has gotten some sort of relief from this kind of pain, my heart smiles. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, you will beat this.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Newmommy28 » 27 Dec 2013, 16:26

Thanks, have faith. Honestly the best thing that has helped me at this point is taking Miralax, which is something my md didn't even tell me to do! I got the idea from this board. I'm so thankful for everyone's posts on here!!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby havefaith » 10 Jan 2014, 21:54

i hope one day, years from now. that your an old mommy, fissure free. keep up all of your good work youre a fighter for putting up with this and dealing with it while having kids.
I have faith in you always, i love you like my own son or daughter, when you hurt, i hurt. Let us all be each others guiding light, and heal without anxiety :) Much love to all.
havefaith
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby missy moo33 » 09 Feb 2014, 18:39

hi im a breastfeeding mum aswel i keep getting fissures my son is 4 months old im getting a fissure every month now but in total I've had about 6 since he was born I've tried everything i drink at least 3 litres of water a day i eat healthy i take laculose an use retogesic i now
believe its something to do with hormones because everytime i get a fissure nothing changed in my diet i can't pin point the reason i keep
getting them my partner got me thinking more about the hormone theory when he said you get a fissure everytime your period is due I'm
still not getting periods yet because of the breastfeeding maybe hormones are running crazy and unbalanced causing fissures sorry if mtheory sounds mad I've just run out of things to blame. im hoping when i stop breastfeeding the fissure will stop to im stopping when he
is 6 months il let u know how that goes. anyone found anything that works that i can do till then?
missy moo33
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo33 » 24 Feb 2014, 15:16

Hi is there any mothers on here that are still breast feeding and getting fissures or has anyone stopped breast feeding an the fissures have stopped also?? Im still breast feeding my 5 month old and i keep getting fissures dealing with number 8 at the moment i got my first one when my son was 2 weeks old. I get 1 fissure a month i think its breast feeding and hormones which keep causing fissures Im so over it at the moment Im laying on the couch with my but elevated : ( Im soo sick of this recurring bs 1 month to go an Im stopping the breast feeding an Im hoping the fissures stop too ive tried everything so the breastfeeding has to go i guess i feel like i don't have a choice : ( i just hope they stop forever so i can go back to living.
missy moo33
Fibre Addict