Scared of having surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Scared of having surgery

Postby Heidi » 01 Mar 2014, 20:49

Hi...I've been dealing with an anal fissure for a year and a half on and off. I thought it had healed but thanks to a bout with constipation it returned. Went to a crs and got nitro cream prescribed he said it had a 90 percent success rate. Not for me I guess.... I've been on it for a month and right when I think I'm getting better the agonizing pain starts all over again due to multiple bowel movements on some days . I am absolutely miserable, and I'm making my whole family miserable with me while they watch me suffer. I am petrified of having surgery... I never have had to before...... I'm worried that I won't wake up from the anesthetic. Very very scared , wish I wasn't such a wuss, wish I could just go in and do the surgery and get my life back!! I have an appointment on Friday with my crs a follow up to see how I'm doing with the cream. Scared he's going to recommend surgery.
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Scared of having surgery

Postby Hurtswhenisit » 02 Mar 2014, 00:17

Hello try not to be scared but I would be too so that's tough to say. I've been dealing with a fissure for a while now and been on the cream for about 2 weeks but I have that same feeling that its not gonna work. Is it not the worst pain ever. Like a curse...I have a colonoscopy coming up march 24 just to make sure that's not all it is.I'm going crazy started to analyze my poop like CSI. Thinking way beyond the fissure like there some obstruction inside that caused the straining . I'll tell you what if you got the time to get the surgery , do it. Think about it , You'll be in pain for a couple more weeks and that's it. If my scope come clear I think I'm jumping aboard for that to, just can't take the fissure no more mentally or phisicly. Good luck
Hurtswhenisit
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby Heidi » 02 Mar 2014, 03:33

Thank you for responding. I agree these fissures are like a curse,I'm just so exhausted dealing with this pain day after day. I feel good for a couple of days and then back to square one :( Good luck to you with your colonoscopy and may everything else fall into place with your fissure as well. Still really really worried about getting put under though....
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Postby Heidi » 02 Mar 2014, 11:08

Anyone here have fissure surgery under regional anesthesiology ? Please tell me about your experience.
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Postby ThroughRecovery » 02 Mar 2014, 15:03

Heidi wrote:Anyone here have fissure surgery under regional anesthesiology ? Please tell me about your experience.

I just had surgery under general anesthesia on Wednesday. While in prep they put a drug in your IV and you forget everything after that point. I just remember going in, him putting the medicine in my IV, I woke up and the surgery was over.
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict

Postby Heidi » 02 Mar 2014, 16:40

Was your surgery for a fissure? If so how long were you in surgery?
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Postby ThroughRecovery » 02 Mar 2014, 22:48

Heidi wrote:Was your surgery for a fissure? If so how long were you in surgery?

I was in for LIS and excision of external hem. I was in surgery probably a total of 30 minutes. I was sleeping for a couple of hours though. I woke up and my butt was numb but no pain. Don't be afraid of the surgery. The surgery part is easy, it's the recovery that's a little hard. Good luck Heidi.
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict

Postby Heidi » 02 Mar 2014, 23:06

Thank you, throughrecovery...be well
Heidi
Fibre Addict

Postby ThroughRecovery » 03 Mar 2014, 11:40

Heidi wrote:Thank you, throughrecovery...be well

Not a problem, if you have any other questions i'm here! :D
ThroughRecovery
Fibre Addict

Postby Savaici » 03 Mar 2014, 12:20

Heidi, here is a little bit of information on Regional Anesthesiology from http://www.hss.edu/anesthesiology-anest ... niques.asp

~ There are many advantages of regional anesthesia compared to general anesthesia. Regional anesthetics have been associated with less post-operative pain and less nausea. More importantly, a lower incidence of blood clots, less blood loss, and less of a stress response by the body have also been reported. Finally, many patients who have experienced both general and regional anesthetics often prefer the "regional" experience. Regional anesthesia is particularly appealing to patients undergoing orthopedic procedures. These procedures often involve the limbs and are associated with a significant amount of post-operative pain. For this reason, anesthesiologists at Hospital for Special Surgery have dedicated themselves to perfecting the art and science of regional anesthesia.

Of course there is more to regional anesthesia than placing a local anesthetic near a nerve. Some patients prefer to be awake during the surgery and some prefer to be asleep. Either is possible with regional anesthesia. The patient's preferences can be discussed with the anesthesiologist prior to surgery.

As with general anesthesia, patients can react differently to regional anesthetics. Therefore, from the moment the patient enters the operating room until the time the patient is comfortable in the recovery room, the anesthesiologist is with the patient for the entire time. This is done to ensure the anesthetic is working perfectly and the patient is calm, comfortable and stable.

As with any anesthetic, there are risks associated with the benefits of regional anesthetics. Fortunately; serious complications associated with regional blocks are exceedingly rare. Prior to performing a regional block the anesthesiologist will discuss common and uncommon risks associated with regional anesthesia at your request.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222