New Mom

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Mom

Postby Jbl22424 » 20 Mar 2014, 20:52

Hi all,
I'm new here. I got my AF 7 weeks postpartum from constipation due to breastfeeding. I've been struggling for 2.5 months now. It doesn't hurt so bad when I go but the after spasms are unbearable and last for 6 hours. I'm on a strict diet, taking 3 colace per day plus miralax and benefiber. I drink 150 ounces of water per day plus 30 ounces of Gatorade. Unfortunately, the first part of my BM is still hard. Any ideas why and how I can fix that?

I'd also love to hear from other new moms. I'm about ready to give up breastfeeding in hopes that this thing will heal when I do. I'm just at my wits end and don't want to look back on my sons first year of life as the most painful of mine.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: New Mom

Postby Savaici » 26 Mar 2014, 18:06

Sorry that there don't seem to be any new mums that can give you advice. Have you seen a colon and rectal surgeon to get something to help? If you have had the fissure for a short time, it could still be fixed with medication. I do know that you have to drink a lot of water when you're breastfeeding, but it must be difficult to find a happy medium. When you say a strict diet, hopefully this includes the right amount of fibre for you body.

Colace did seem to make my stool harder. I use prune juice after experimenting.

Sorry not much help!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Jbl22424 » 26 Mar 2014, 19:42

Thanks Savaici. I just bought some prune juice, I think I will try that. I've cut out dairy, sugar, processed foods, red meat... eating mostly veggies, bran, bean soups, etc. If I take enough miralax, I can get my stools soft but I have to keep upping that... it's like my body acclimates to it each time I increase the dose.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that I am not healing because of the suppressed estrogen/hormones due to breastfeeding. They've linked poor wound healing to post menopausal women for this very reason. It is terrible that I feel like I have to choose between my own health or my child's.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby skumar » 29 Mar 2014, 06:03

Don't be disheartened. There is a post from newmommy in 'general......" Thread. Take a look at it. It was posted this month. I have come across many such posts from new mommy. My daughter is now 6 months old. I went through the lis surgery 6 weeks post delivery but my fissure was 1 yr old which started with pregnancy. See a crs, height prescribe you nifedipine or rectogesic or diltazem etc. Sorry for the wrong spell. Can't remember exactly. If first part of bm is hard then try prune juice little in the morning too and take little metamucil in the morning.very little though. May be half teaspoon before breakfast. Colace in the am is must. Try sitz bath too. See if these things helps. If nothing helps then take abt 1 teaspoon milk of magnesia in the morning. But check how much quantity gives you runs. For me 1 teaspoon is good. You don't want the runs. I know with small baby its very difficult so I hope you have some help at home.
skumar
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Savaici » 29 Mar 2014, 12:30

Sounds just about how I "run" my life, skumar!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby NDMK312 » 29 Mar 2014, 17:34

Hi there,

I had my daughter a year ago, and also had a two fissures occur 6 weeks postpartum due to constipation. I had this problem before but had rid myself of it for over three years by changing my diet and increasing my exercise. A note, I am a healthy and active person to begin with so this puzzled me a lot. This issue has nothing to do with how healthy you may be in my opinion.

I survived my entire pregnancy without issues, then it came back. I was able to get some relief when I went on Miralax. I also changed my diet to include more fiber and drink large amounts of water everyday. I decided to go off the Miralax because I did not feel it was a good long-term solution. I started making prune juice and apple sauce smoothies every night, just mix the two together and warm up in the microwave for 30 seconds to bring to room temp. That seems to help. I have not been constipated but still struggle with the fissures opening issue on and off. I was recently pain free for almost two months and then it came back. I've been working with a gastrointestinal doctor. She ran every test from thyroid, celiacs, to a CT scan with contrast. Everything came back normal. I also had a colonoscopy 6 years ago, which was normal. She basically has no answers for me and didn't feel wanted me back in her office again for it. I can't explain why it keeps recurring so I am finally headed to a CRS in a few weeks. I have been down this road when this occurred the first time. The CRS didn't want to operate then and said the fissure was small enough it should heal on its own. I'm hoping for the same feedback this time, although these seem worse and I only had one before whereas now I have two. It's awful, especially when you are caring for a little one. You just want to enjoy them, but are in so much pain it makes it almost impossible.

I tried nitro but it gave me crazy headaches, I guess I couldn't ever get the dosage right. If I learn any new information at my appointment on April 15 I will let you know.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby missy moo33 » 30 Mar 2014, 23:35

Hi new mom dont feel bad if you have to give up breast feeding its your choice if that's what will or could give your life back your pain free life then go for it i to have chosen this approach for myself starting today an my son doesn't seem to care foods food to him an i gave my all i tried that's all a mum can do he will still love you the same amount i was bottle feed from 6 weeks old and im a model of good health and never get sick. You did your best dont let people get to you or make you feel bad in anyway. Email me if you like we came swap tips for healing, pain, bottle feeding and what ever anyone who would like to email me can. Good luck to all of you [email protected]
missy moo33
Fibre Addict

Postby cyn » 31 Mar 2014, 23:25

Hi
My baby is 14 months old. I had n anal fissure about 10 years ago, then again about 4 years ago it lasted foe over a yr. it ruled my life. I prayed a lot, drinks lots water,I bought every cream you can think of. lost about 25 lbs I was a rail afraid to eat anything that might constipate me. Then a miracle happened I got pregnant my fissure was almost healed then. After my baby I developed an anal fistula that I still have It's not terrible. I just recently started getting constipated again. I'm still breastfeeding me have been trying to ween but he's had a few really bad colds where all he would do would nurse. I had no idea breastfeeding caused constipation. Try thus site listentoyourgut.com they have these fissureheal suppositories that are long and thin and really help. Please read about her and try these. Good luck... Also prune juice and miral x help me.
Cyndi
cyn
Fibre Addict

Postby NDMK312 » 01 Apr 2014, 04:42

I did notice that things got a little better after I stopped breastfeeding. My OB and GI doctors said it shouldn't make a difference, but I think it did a little. The other thing I forgot to mention that works for pain for me is Vinyasa yoga. It energizes your nervous system, relaxes the muscles, and also keeps your mind off the pain. I use Shive Rhea's DVDs. I gave my husband the baby for an hour and would do this then meditate at the end. Kelly Mcgonigle has a great book on yoga for chronic pain as well. Best of luck! Again, I'll write in a few weeks after my visit to the CRS.
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Postby Newmom1211 » 07 Apr 2014, 06:50

Hi! I'm new on this forum.... I have an anal fistula. Started when i delivered my son last year. 2-3 weeks after delivery i had an abscess then fistula. I had fistulotomy done on feb 06 this year.... I've been going to see my colorectal surgeon and he said its healing ok. However, he see that there is still a tiny hole down there...he doesnt think its a fistula but maybe a sinus tract?! But... In order for him to guarantee is for me to go through surgery again. It has only been 2 months?! I asked my OB and suggested that i should wait a little longer before doing another surgery because it's still healing and doing another surgery might complicate things and interfere with healing. I'm frustrated because this all happened after childbirth. My son is only 3 month old. I'm still on maternity leave because of this complication. I was scheduled for a follow up with surgeon on tuesday to see how its doing. Then surgery on wed, but i think im gonna put the surgery aside for now. Fortunately, no pain, no discharge and bowel movements are ok. I'm just scared going through another surgery. Does anyone has the same problem? Developing fistula from childbirth?????
Newmom1211