Wheat Belly

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Wheat Belly

Postby Now66 » 31 Mar 2014, 17:20

My new urologist strongly suggested i read this book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. In truth, I have largely avoided all breads and other wheat products for some years to keep my triglycerides under control.

The book and my urologist also recommend I stay off my morning oatmeal breakfast. I'm having trouble with that suggestion in that the oatmeal breakfast does wonders for my AF condition.

Anyone else ever look into the Wheat Belly diet?
Now66
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Wheat Belly

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Apr 2014, 22:20

Hi Now66,
I've heard a bit about the Wheat Belly diet. It's hard to ignore - a lot of people are trying it. More and more people are giving up wheat. More and more are saying they have a gluten sensitivity. People say that they feel better if they don't eat wheat, and they lose weight too.

So is it real? Does wheat have all these terrible effects on people? People with coeliac disease can't eat wheat, and people with a true allergy to gluten or wheat germ agglutenin, can't eat wheat. But what about the rest of us?

Here is a link to a review of Davies' book "Wheat Belly". It's long, and somewhat technical in places, but not too hard to read.
http://mail.sdwheat.org/Portals/SDWheat ... rJones.pdf

The bottom line is; yes, eating a lot of wheat can contribute to obesity, diabetes etc. But the same is true of other carbohydrates. In fact, a great many of the supposed effects of wheat are, quite simply, the effects of a high calorie diet. When you cut out wheat, you may simply be reducing the calories you take in. Of course you lose weight and feel better. A great deal of what Mr Davies says about the terrible health effects of wheat, is unsubstantiated.

Anyway, here's my opinion: keep on with your oatmeal. I think the slimy fibre in oatmeal is perfect for soft stools. If you are worried about gluten, don't be (unless you have coeliac disease or a true gluten intolerance). There is little to no gluten in oatmeal. See this link:
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-oat-conund ... glu-137074

If you are worried about carbs and calorific intake, then still have your oatmeal, but eat less of it, and add in some goodies. I have grated apple, raisins and nuts in mine. It's yummy. Personally, I think it's good to have a dose of carbs in the morning. It sets me up for the day.

Well, that's my opinion.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Re: Wheat Belly

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Apr 2014, 23:00

OK, I feel a rant coming on!

I hate fad diets!
Wheat Belly and Fiber Menace have the same thing in common: starting with the observation that TOO MUCH of something is bad for you, and noting also that for a small minority of people, even a TINY AMOUNT of that something is bad for them, they take the giant leap that a normal amount of that stuff (wheat or fibre) is terrible for everybody. They link all sorts of scary diseases to that stuff, with little or no evidence to back them up.

They take a little bit of science and a lot of anecdote. They muddle correlation with causation. They misinterpret some of the science, and they make up other bits. Then they write a book and make pots of money by feeding people wrong and scary ideas.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to cut out wheat. If you are eating too many calories, cutting out one form of carbs is fine! If you feel better on that diet, that's great, and you should keep doing it. I'm all in favour trying things and sticking with what works for you.

I'm just really hacked off by the scaremongering and bad science that goes into these fad diet books.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements