Is it a fissure if it is inside?

Pregnant and in pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is it a fissure if it is inside?

Postby mama2be » 02 Apr 2014, 16:44

So I am 32 weeks pregnant and so miserable from what I think is a fissure (or 3). I have had trouble going #2 for a very long time, and had to use digital stimulation to even go most days, to loosen up the muscle enough to relax and allow it to pass. Anyway, this alone sucks but isn't painful normally. Between that and the pressure of the baby, everything down there is so tight and full of pressure. I think I have tears in the inner lining of my anus, is that a fissure? I have only read fissures that are on the outside (and so all these creams say EXTERNAL USE ONLY. But my issue isn't external, it's the first inch INSIDE that burns/feels like fire when touched. Anyone experienced this? If so, did anything work well for you? I've been using A&D ointment when trying to go to the bathroom, but even that kills and does all day after. I have no appetite b/c I don't want to have to go to the b/r anymore. I need to thought for my baby! :sadd:
mama2be
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Is it a fissure if it is inside?

Postby Jbl22424 » 02 Apr 2014, 17:15

I feel for you. :( I'm dealing with a fissure postpartum and I couldn't imagine having had it back when I was hugely pregnant and uncomfortable. My fissure felt like it was inside when the pain was at its worst. I still don't know exactly where it is. Sorry, I'm not a huge help. Are you taking a stool softener? Colace I believe is safe while pregnant and may help you out quite a bit. Next time I get pregnant, I plan to be on it the whole time. I've also read that miralax may be safe while pregnant.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby mama2be » 02 Apr 2014, 20:27

I took Miralax tonight actually. I was also prescribed these suppositories that are hydrocortisone. Hopefully they help! I read that if taken too long that it can thin the tissue though, which isnt good either. What a huge pain this is! I am praying I dont tear and esp. dont need an episiotomy, I would want to die!
mama2be
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 Apr 2014, 21:13

Hi mama2be,
I really feel for you. It must be awful to be pregnant with fissures. I can't really imagine it.

Fissures can be internal. I never could see mine, only the sentinel pile, so it must've been inside.
I think a real fissure med like nifedipine would be better than A&D which is a hemorrhoid cream, or hydrocortisone which, as you say, can thin the skin.

Have you talked to your OB/Gyn about the fissures, and asked him/her about fissures and labour? I think it's really important, because a fair number of women get fissures AS A RESULT OF labour. So if you already have fissures going in, you might aggravate them. I'm not a doctor, and I don't want to scare you, but seriously, if you haven't already, please talk to the person who is going to deliver your baby.

A C-section might be in order. Again, I'm not a doctor! But I had two babies by C-section (Nothing to do with fissures; the first was a breech baby, and I was not a candidate for VBAC the second time around). It's not so bad, and spares you a lot of pain "down there".

In the meantime, you are doing the right thing by making your stools as soft as possible, and getting them to literally fall out without straining. Keep very well hydrated, as a dry stool is a hard stool. If you plan to nurse, staying hydrated becomes even more important (and you won't believe how much you have to drink).

I wish you all the best, rapid healing, an easy birth and a delightful baby!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby mama2be » 02 Apr 2014, 22:26

Thank you. I talked to her today and thats when she prescribed the suppositories. I sure hope I dont need a C just because of this! I had a natural birth one year ago and had no issues after except some normal post partem vaginal discomfort (no tearing though). And even though my stools are soft, they still dont just come out like a normal person, so I have to use my finger, which in turn aggravates everything all over!
mama2be
Fibre Addict

Postby Jbl22424 » 02 Apr 2014, 23:07

I had a second degree tear. It took me about 7/8 weeks before I felt normal again. Dealing with that recovery was WAY BETTER than a fissure.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mama2be » 03 Apr 2014, 07:50

Yea it feels like this will never heal! It feels like its not just one tear I can pinpoint (cant see inside), but the whole "rim" feels like it is on fire 24/7. And when I go to put cream or coconut oil around it, its nearly impossible to even get a finger there, its so tight and it burns. EFF!
mama2be
Fibre Addict

Postby mama2be » 03 Apr 2014, 10:41

Also, I dont understand why the rim is so TIGHT and CLOSED? I cant even put a fingertip in, the muscle just is so tight and painful! Does anything help to relax that??
mama2be
Fibre Addict

Postby Jbl22424 » 03 Apr 2014, 11:42

I believe so but not sure what is safe or feasible while pregnant. I believe the standard course of treatment is nifedepine, diltiazem, nitroglycerine, botox, and LIS surgery. The first three are topical ointments that you apply inside the anal canal and the last two are obviously more drastic and invasive. My fissure experience sounds quite a bit different from yours, though. I have little pain during a BM but hours of after spasms. The rim isn't tight or closed once the spasms subside for me within 5-6 hours after a BM. There isn't any inflammation from what I can tell. I will say that I tried a steroid suppository from my GP before I knew it was a fissure and OUCH that hurt. My CRS later told me that would only irritate it and not help.
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby mama2be » 04 Apr 2014, 09:23

Yea i was given them, dont seem to help so far so I'll probably stop using them. I put one in at night and one in the am after a bm. I have those spasms too...its sore/burning for hours after. And being pregnant, every time I am on my feet the pressure presses down and so it hurts a lot then too.
mama2be
Fibre Addict