Is Non-Laxative Colace Ok To Take Regularly?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is Non-Laxative Colace Ok To Take Regularly?

Postby JJAlan » 08 Apr 2014, 11:55

I had a fissure a few months ago, seems to be better now, knock on wood. I had to change my diet & make a conscious effort to temper "risky" foods for constipation with lots of fruits, veggies, water, etc. I also began taking one 500 mg Magnesium every morning, & two tablets 100 mg each of non-stimulant Colace stool softeners every night. I now typically have 1-2 small to medium sized bowel movements everyday, & usually they are passable & soft. I normally eat a normal breakfast, bacon, eggs, biscuit, or cereal, poptarts...For lunch, either fast food, salad, for dinner, whatever I want..The trick is I temper every meal with a half or whole cucumber, beans, or fresh veggies, and I eat two

apples (no skin) every day. If I eat something like pizza that in the past has been a problem for bulky stools, I drink more water or eat more beans or skinless fruits with it.

I am a slender guy, always have been. Most of my weight is usually belly fat, that's just the way I'm built. My heaviest was about 174, now I'm around 164. My question is, I really don't want to risk aggravating the fissure again..So is it safe for me to keep taking 1-2 Colace non laxative stool softeners every night?
JJAlan

Topics: 1

Re: Is Non-Laxative Colace Ok To Take Regularly?

Postby JJAlan » 08 Apr 2014, 12:00

I'm pretty happy with the way my stools are now, I asked my doctor if the Colace was ok to keep using & she said yes. I only take the non stimulant kind. Do non-stimulant stool softeners cause weight loss? I am already a slender guy & want to kep my weight up. Doc told me it shouldn't be an issue to keep taking them if I feel I need them. I just want to keep them soft, without being diarrhea. Mostly they seem to work ok. And I never take the stimulant kind. When I first had the fissure I cut out a bunch of stuff in diet, but now I pretty much eat whatever I want because I temper it with fruits & veggies & I take the two Colace tablets at night. But is it ok to keep taking stimulant-free Colace what do you think. Thanks
JJAlan

Topics: 1

Re: Is Non-Laxative Colace Ok To Take Regularly?

Postby Midwestgirl » 09 Apr 2014, 17:14

Hey, thanks for posting about what food you have been eating. I am trying to temper my diet also and eat foods higher in fiber. I'm running to the problem to not wanting to lose weight also. I have been taking dulcolax stool softeners, and they work some days and others they don't. If you eat pizza or french fries, and have beans or high fiber fruit does it help at all? I am also thinking of switching to a different stool softener.
Midwestgirl
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4