PIMA reporting on surgery

surgery this am

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

PIMA reporting on surgery

Postby PIMA » 10 Mar 2014, 18:36

So i posted last week about my unbearable pain and learned that it was due to a superimposed infection on my fissure. I went for surgery just this morning and my CRS said the fissure was about the size of a dime with a ring of infection all the way around. Nice, huh? Well, he cleaned it and then stopped the muscle spasm with sphincterotomy and sent me on my way. I've been laying around all day and cannot get comfortable, but I didn't expect to be the first day.

I am taking advice of many of you who have already been through this regarding diet in the first few days. I am dreading the first BM, but have successfully expelled some gas already. I think that is moving in the right direction. I just have to stay positive and really let my body work it out. No more straining! That's what got me in this boat in the first place.

I am taking my meds as prescribed with stool softener and keeping up with Metamucil. I've not eaten much, but have stayed with soup, mostly broth, fruits, and a smoothie. And drinking a ton of water. Whatever is in there, will come out sooner or later... So I shall wait.

While I wait, I will continue to read your success stories and appreciate any more tips you can share. I could really use a pep talk, too, and this is just the place to get it. So glad I found this group! Prayers are welcomed and appreciated...
PIMA
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: PIMA reporting on surgery

Postby Scientist2516 » 10 Mar 2014, 22:08

Good for you, Pima!
Good lord, a fissure the size of a dime and infected too! No wonder it was agonizing. What a good thing you had the operation. Surely some post-operative pain will have to be better than what you've already been through. You've experienced the worst, and now you are on the road to healing. It won't be long now, I'm sure.

It sounds as though you've got a good game plan for surviving the first BM. Keep it up, and keep thinking positive! You are doing great. Keep us informed as to your progress, and best of luck over the next few days.
Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts your way!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby PIMA » 11 Mar 2014, 09:58

1st BM successful. took the sitz bath, blow dried my bum, now airing out. not to bad, but the next hour will be the test. My pain always started inside of 10 minutes post BM and lasted hours. So, let's see how the next hour fairs. The BM itself was pretty good considering Ive been taking hydrocodone for several days leading up to the surgery. Luckily I was not under GA and was only sedated for the procedure, so that I'm sure helped with the first BM. Stay tuned and hopefully I can move my story onto the Success Stories board soon...
PIMA
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 11 Mar 2014, 14:10

Good luck with your healing PIMA..... Take it really easy, keep those stools nice and soft with a stool softener and plenty of water. If things get uncomfortable a soak in the sitz will help... Or get in a warm bath!

Keep us posted on your healing!!

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby PIMA » 15 Mar 2014, 06:49

ok, day 5 post surgery and I am afraid I had a set back. I had two BMs yesterday evening about an hour apart and there was more blood than I've seen all week. I started to hurt some, too, albeit nothing like before, but unsettling, nonetheless. What happens now?

I woke up with a little discomfort this am and took a muscle relaxer and tylenol. No pain sitting here typing, but I'm also working up to my morning BM, and I am afraid. I've already let up on the stool softeners because that is no longer an issue. I want one BM, not 2 or 3 This is like roulette or a crap shoot, no pun intended, but I don't know how to predict how the foods I put in will come out and it's getting really ridiculous. I want this nightmare to be over now.
PIMA
Fibre Addict

Postby PIMA » 10 Apr 2014, 10:04

One month post surgery and WOW! I am really doing well. I have this one BM a day down to a science, except for yesterday, which was no big deal. I am still keenly aware of my bum during a BM, but no spasms for hours post-BM. Thank heaven and my surgeon for that. My kids no longer have to see me suffer and I even started my exercise/run/walk regiment again.

I still take 2 sitz baths a day with Epsom Salts and especially after a BM. I use Dr. Wheatgrass Super Balm and Desitin on my bum everyday. I don't know if those are doing anything, but at this point I don't want to find out. I have become a little superstitious or maybe OCD about my routine. I am taking calculated risks with food intake remembering that what goes in must come out. I am down to one serving of Metamucil at night and with my morning coffee, I am evacuating with relative ease.

My surgeon said I graduated and can come back if I have another tear, but for now I am on the road to a full recovery. I probably have 2-4 more weeks in the recovery zone, so I need take it easy still. But, so far so good.
PIMA
Fibre Addict

Postby sotiredofthis » 10 Apr 2014, 14:02

Great news!!!! I have surgery on the 28th so I love reading these success stories!!!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby sotiredofthis » 30 Apr 2014, 16:04

How are you doing Pima? Closing in on 2 months soon!
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33