Greasy ointments cause leakage?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Greasy ointments cause leakage?

Postby aimonaali » 16 Apr 2014, 15:27

So dot they..? I use white vaselin which is very greasy. My doctor said it's too greasy for some people but at that time I dind't ask him what the the problem with grease is. In my country they sell this ointmen called AC3 Comfort which is used for butt problems. In their site it says something like "Doesn't contain grease, which is importan because grease can cause leaking"

I'd like to know if I should keep using the vaselin. And how can the grease cause leaking in the first place? Does anyone know better?

Edit: I just realized this probably should have been on the "general discussion" thread... Hopefully it'll find answers here too:)
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Greasy ointments cause leakage?

Postby Scientist2516 » 17 Apr 2014, 11:23

Are you putting the vaseline up inside?
It might come out again, but I don't think it can cause anal leakage of stool. Is that what you are worried about?

If you don't notice any leakage with vaseline, I don't see any reason to stop using it. If you get some greasy stuff on your underwear, try using a panty liner. I used liners quite a lot when I was using nitro.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby aimonaali » 18 Apr 2014, 06:18

Why is everyone in here suggesting men using panty liners...:P No thanks. I don't put the vaseline in. I sometimes get some grease on my underwear. Maybe I should try using less of that stuff. Or maybe I try some basic less greasy ointment.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Postby suzyljank » 18 Apr 2014, 08:55

I don't think greasy ointments cause the leakage. I think if you already have a little stool there is just makes it slide out easier. My CRS told me not to use vaseline at all. It can actually trap bacteria and is hard to clean up. He did approve of a&d ointment or a water soluble lubricant just before a bm though.
Pantyliners are small and a lot easier than a piece of gauze that could move around. It really doesn't matter what gender you are, the purpose is to catch any discharge.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic