COCONUT OIL. Really?

coconut oil to heal/soothe fissure

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

COCONUT OIL. Really?

Postby jay2502 » 05 Mar 2014, 11:12

has anybody heard about/or tried using coconut oil to soothe fissure pain and promote healing?

i have run out of Diltiazem hydrochloride 2% Cream (Anoheal ) and have to call up the hospital, who then have to go through a palava of speaking to a surgeon to see if im ''allowed'' more as this will be my fourth tube. i find that cream really helps with the painful symptoms.

so in the meantime (which looks like a good week) i want to try using coconut oil.
i thought the idea was to keep the area as dry as possible, coconut oil would do the opposite, so im somewhat confused as to what the benefits would be.

any advice appreciated.
jay2502
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Re: COCONUT OIL. Really?

Postby Sunshine » 05 Mar 2014, 12:28

Hi Jay
Yes coconut oil works for me. Is soothes and cools and seems to really help.
I cut the fingers off plastic gloves, melt Organic Extra Virgin coconut oil, and pour it into each of the fingers, then fridge.
Then three to four times a day I use one as a suppository.
What works for some, doesnt for others. But it has really helped me.
Good luck :-)
Sunshine
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Scientist2516 » 05 Mar 2014, 13:14

Hi Jay,
Coconut oil won't do the same thing as diltiazem, but it can certainly help by soothing and lubricating the anus.
If you find that diltiazem really helps you, then don't take no for an answer. Tell them it helps and you want more! Hopefully they will listen to you.
You can also somewhat simulate the effect of diltiazem by sitting on a heat pad or hot water bottle (not too hot). Both dilt. and heat have the effect of relaxing anal muscles and opening up the blood vessels that supply the anus, and promote healing.
Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby rio » 05 Mar 2014, 15:20

Coconut oil is great for me, but only the extra virgin organic - in fact I can use only one specific brand. I cut a small piece with hot knife and use it like suppository after BM and before bed time.
And gel squeezed from the fresh leaf of the aloe vera is good too.
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby Fissulyna » 18 Apr 2014, 13:59

Those suppositories have coconut and palm oil and natural vit. E. Very soothing and lubricating effect.

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/p-302-key-e- ... ories.aspx

Coconut oil has many, MANY healing properties in general, both for skin issues and well as the whole digestive system, so I'm not surprised one bit that it is helping some people. :sunny:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Savaici » 18 Apr 2014, 21:03

Good to see you, Fissulyna!!! How are you doing?
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Fissulyna » 23 Apr 2014, 02:30

Not good, sorry to say, :tantrum: , but thanks for asking. I try not to "moan" here since I do not want to freak out poor newbies with the fact that LIS might not be the ultimate and final solution :roll: (not to mention TWO of them that I had lol lol ) , so I deal with my beautiful third fissure "alone" :pray: and hope for the best :rainbow: . I must have been Dr. Mengele in my previous life to "deserve" this :rofl: !!!! Oh well... :thecat:

Love to alllllll :vse:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby torninhell » 23 May 2014, 08:14

Fissulyna wrote:Not good, sorry to say, :tantrum: , but thanks for asking. I try not to "moan" here since I do not want to freak out poor newbies with the fact that LIS might not be the ultimate and final solution :roll: (not to mention TWO of them that I had lol lol ) , so I deal with my beautiful third fissure "alone" :pray: and hope for the best :rainbow: . I must have been Dr. Mengele in my previous life to "deserve" this :rofl: !!!! Oh well... :thecat: Love to alllllll :vse:

Fissulyna, noooooo I'm having trouble now too, post LIS, and I'm now worried that LIS wasn't the final solution. :( I'm almost a year out and tearing badly again :verysad:

But anyway RE: the coconut oil... I use it too, applied topically at least 3 times a day. I think I might try making suppositories out of them too as other people suggest. Has anyone tried mixing it with other oils?
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5