LIS 2 Weeks Ago

Seeking Advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS 2 Weeks Ago

Postby sb2 » 03 May 2014, 12:26

I'm new to this forum, but unfortunately not this problem. I suffered my first fissure back in 2008 which healed with a few weeks of nitro cream. This time I was not so lucky. After 2 months with the nitro I had the LIS procedure. It has been two weeks, and I am getting a little discouraged. Just when it feels like something different is going on down there, I have a little irritation during a bm and I go right back to where I started.

What I describe above as feeling a little different, was the reduction in the throbbing and pain for hours after a bm. At about 5 days post op, the throbbing turned to the type of minor pain that is experienced with an open cut. I knew the fissure was still there, but the pain was different. What I was hoping someone could describe is the timing and progression of sensations during the healing process post LIS. I realize size and severity of the fissure factor in, but looking to hear what others' experience has been. Thanks.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: LIS 2 Weeks Ago

Postby vdb324 » 03 May 2014, 22:00

Hi sb2!

I've been keeping a diary here of my LIS that I had done five weeks ago: from-botox-to-lis-t8093.html
Please take it with a grain of salt, though. There are several people on this board who notice immediate changes, and I wasn't necessarily one of them. Everybody is different. Hopefully, though, you'll see over time that you're having more good days than bad!

I hope you start feeling better soon!
Feb. 2013 - Developed AF
July 2013 - Diagnosed AF;nifidepine lidocaine treatment
Oct. 2013 - 1st round of Botox & skin tag removal
Dec. 2013 - 2nd Botox
March 2014 - Spinchterotomy
June 2015 - Diagnosed with Pelvic Floor Dysfunction/Vulvodynia
vdb324
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 52

Postby sb2 » 05 May 2014, 20:26

Thanks vdb. I appreciate you sharing your story. How are you doing now? I am still struggling with the right diet and have been amazed that with just a slight change, you can really set yourself back. That is where I am now. A few days ago I wrote that the spasms and throbbing for hours were gone, but one tough bm and I'm back to square one. Can't wait to get back to some semblance of normal. Again, thanks for sharing.
sb2
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby suzyljank » 06 May 2014, 07:23

Hi, I think what most people don't understand about LIS is that the surgery itself relaxes the sphincter muscle which in turn allows the fissure to heal. It can take 6-8 weeks for that fissure to heal and even after it does it can take up to a year for the tissue to regain it's strength. If your bms are less painful and you're not spasming for hours after sounds like you just need to give it some time. Remember to keep your bms softer and don't strain. Hope you have a speedy recovery Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic