chronic fissure

been having some bad luck with treatments

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

chronic fissure

Postby student » 22 May 2014, 16:52

Hi all,
I have had a chronic fissure for about three months now, and the pain is starting to wear me down mentally and physically. Initially my doctor prescribed suppositories that had an antibiotic i turned out to be allergic to. The mineral oil made a mess of my GI tract, and for the past week i haven't been in the greatest control of my BMs, its really liquid and the smell has made me throw up. A couple days after the the antibiotic reaction, I felt good enough to eat, so I ate some chocolate cake thinking I would gain a little weight back. Turns out, I am now extremely lactose intolerant, and the cake gave me a rough two days. Then the doctor prescribed me different suppositories, with only hydrocortisone, they worked well for a few days, but my sphincter has become more and more tight, and is now refusing to let the suppository in. The nitroglycerin cream gave me headaches, and not much relief, warm baths help more. The nurse just prescribed me nifedipine, and wants to meet in a week to discuss Botox. Can someone please give me some info on the Botox procedure? I live alone and halfway across the country from my family.
student
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: chronic fissure

Postby Apes » 22 May 2014, 17:27

Student, sorry for your difficulty. I haven't heard if a doctor giving suppositories for a fissure. I believe hydrocortisone is more for internal hemmoroids. Mineral oil I was told may make you go to the bathroom more often and can loosen things up. If a CRS prescribed this treatment I would be wary. The nitro and nifedipine are usually standard starters for a fissure. I had Botox 18 days ago, my treatment was done as an out patient procedure in the hospital. I was under general anesthesia and the CRS gave me three shots 30 units at each end and 16 units in the fissure itself. She cleaned up the fissure if there were rough edges. The last five days for me have been really good, no pain during or after BM. Only slight discomfort, maybe due to a hemmeroid. From the studies I read it is important as to the location of the injection and amount of Botox given, more being better. People in this forum have had mixed reviews of Botox. I decided it was better for me then surgery at present.
Good luck.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby student » 22 May 2014, 17:39

Thanks Apes,
To my knowledge I dont have hemorrhoids. (The nurse wrote the prescription under the doctors orders) The mineral oil worked the first day, but then it was like it was the one on steroids. I have had an unrelated surgery in the past and my body did not respond well the general anesthetics
student
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Apes » 22 May 2014, 17:44

My body hates anesthesia. I get very nauseous and usually throw up. The last couple times I had propopol, it's general but doesn't have same side effects. It worked great no nausea. Also, remember it is a very short procedure so you don't get that much.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby student » 22 May 2014, 18:36

same, how long did your procedure take?
student