Surgery in 3 days! *** surgery update!***

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Surgery in 3 days! *** surgery update!***

Postby Mommaof1 » 08 Jun 2014, 15:28

Ok everyone. I have LIS surgery booked for Wednesday. Finally, its here. Now I'm getting that "but do I really NEED it?" feeling. I backed out once already because things were improving. Here's my reasoning. As long as i'm taking Clearlax every night, things are fine. But once I miss a dose or have a firm stool, things re-tear and bleed and I start all over. Stupid right? I can't live on laxatives forever. Tell me i'm being stupid. :) I'm having pain free stools now...as long as they are soft....
is it a good idea to have the LIS even though its starting to heal?
Last edited by Mommaof1 on 11 Jun 2014, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
Mommaof1
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Surgery in 3 days!

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 08 Jun 2014, 16:27

Hello!
I'm in a very similar situation. Things just seem tight down there...I was fissure free for a while, but tore after eating too much 'dry fiber' while tapering off miralax. I'm not quite 'pain free' yet, but close--mostly just stinging while defacating and then it goes away.
I am interviewing surgeons now, so I'm not as far along as you. I figure it would be better (and healthier) to have a well-performed surgery than to indefinitely keep taking pharmaceuticals and be stuck with a very strict diet while remaining under the constant threat of imminent retear. At least that's what I am trying to tell myself. I was watching some of the surgical videos and reading some of the horror stories and started second guessing... My situation is somewhat complicated by living circumstances and my job, which will effect my recovery period. IF you feel confident about your surgeon and your post-surgical situation, seems like a reasonable step.
Having just read your other posts, my biggest concern for you would be time off--are they still only giving you 4 days? Don't return to work pre-emptively. 'Grin and bear it' is NOT the right attitude for work post-surgery. You are more important than your work. Don't mess up your body! Take sick days as long as you need to.
If you can't set yourself up with time to heal, I would say don't do it. In which case maybe Botox would be a better solution for you. Or keep experimenting with your diet. I recently discovered that refried beans and rice does produces softer stools than anything else I have eaten.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Jbl22424 » 09 Jun 2014, 00:25

If you have had your fissure for a long time, I think it is pretty unlikely it will heal on its own. It may just be time to get it taken care of. I second outdoorsman re: living with a restricted diet under the threat of the next tear. But I understand the second guessing, that makes it tough!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 09 Jun 2014, 00:54

Hi Jbl! Still happy and feeling good post LIS? I'm not sure how many times I've scrolled through your recent surgical venture...but it's a lot!
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Postby Jbl22424 » 09 Jun 2014, 09:41

Aw, I'm so glad it provides some good reading for you! Sometimes I just can't believe how much my life has changed since surgery. My mom says I'm a completely different person. I couldn't be more thankful to have had it done. I am feeling fantastic. I do notice that I have a little burning for about 5 minutes after a BM and I can't decide if it is residual sensitivity, the miralax, or the spicy mexican food I've reintroduced into my diet? Or maybe it is just normal sensitivity and I don't know what its like to poop like a normal person anymore?? Anyways, no spasms and nada after that. Loving life again. :)
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Alyssa » 09 Jun 2014, 16:25

Jbl2224,

Happy to hear that you are doing well! Where are you located in California and who conducted your surgery?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby suzyljank » 09 Jun 2014, 16:50

If you've had your fissure for a long time, it's chronic and even if it heals on it's own it's not very likely it will stay healed. That's because of the constant tearing and healing process and the build up of scar tissue. Scar tissue doesn't stretch that's why things keep tearing. By the time I had LIS it didn't work, I suffered for 5 more years and finally had double advancement flaps and looking back I wish I would have gone with the surgery a lot sooner. Good luck on your surgery. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby ut_outdoorsman » 09 Jun 2014, 16:51

oops. I think I hijacked this post when I commented on jbl.

Mommaof1, I'm rootin' for ya.
ut_outdoorsman
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 09 Jun 2014, 17:32

:smilyhug: Mommaof1. Thinking of you for your surgery, if you have decided to go ahead with it. Let us know how everything goes, whatever you decide
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Jbl22424 » 09 Jun 2014, 17:56

Alyssa - I'm in Sacramento, CA and my surgeon was Jeanne Yu at the Sacramento Colon and Rectal Surgery group - http://www.scrs1.org/. I highly recommend her!
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist