Blood 2 hours after BM?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Blood 2 hours after BM?

Postby ckelley116 » 26 Jul 2014, 08:41

This morning, right after waking, I had a BM that hurt a little and left a little blood on the TP (which had me bummed, because although I've had mild pain with every BM this week, I hadn't bled for a few days). I cleaned up, went and had breakfast, and then took a shower to get ready for my day.

Because my apartment doesn't have central air, and the bathroom gets incredibly hot in these summer months, I don't dry myself off while I'm putting on my makeup and drying my hair, instead letting a fan blow on me and the water that's still on me to keep me cool. By the time I'm done I'm usually dry except in "certain areas". So when I went to dry off the anal region, I used one of the cotton pads I usually use to wipe up after a BM. When I took it away, though, there was a streak of blood on it. Not a lot, but definitely enough to be noticeable - and certainly enough to ramp up my anxiety, which has been sort of bad the last few days anyway. A few more wipes with clean pads seem to have gotten it all off - for now. Has anyone experienced this - fresh blood 2 hours after a BM? Apes was kind enough to reassure me that leftover blood a half hour afterward was nothing to freak over. But this was 2 hours, and I showered in between.

Freaking here, again...ugh.
ckelley116
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Blood 2 hours after BM?

Postby Roidsfizzman » 26 Jul 2014, 14:18

Hi CK,

I have had the bleeding from internal hems and fissure that sometimes would last through out the day. If you need some thing to use to catch the blood from getting on your under ware, use a sterile gauze pad. You should not freak over blood if you are not in a lot pain. A little blood as long as it is not streaming from a hem or fissure is common.

If the blood is not bright red and appears to be mixed with pus and you are having a lot of pain, then, you need to see a doctor right away because you may have an infection.

Are you using a stool softener?

You do need to make the appointment with a CRS, so you can have the issue addressed.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ckelley116 » 26 Jul 2014, 19:17

Thanks for the reply, Roids (sorry if I giggled to myself while typing that). I feel better now. Sorry you had to go through that, though! To answer your questions, yes, the blood was bright red and didn't seem to be mixed with anything. I also didn't notice a smell, which I understand is a telltale sign of infection. No pain - well, no more than the usual general discomfort and random twitchy, prickly, stingy little sensations - and that was actually the only time I noticed it today. I checked several hours after that and again a little bit ago - clean as a whistle. (Never thought I'd be participating in a forum where I voluntarily told people my anus was "clean as a whistle!)

I am using a stool softener; I just started taking Dulcolax on Thursday evening. I haven't yet noticed if it's working. My digestive system is slower than a snail (it takes close to 48 hours for my food to pass through) so maybe I'll start seeing results tonight or tomorrow. My sister also told me that it's best to take it with a full glass of water, which I haven't done. I'm drinking plenty of water throughout the day but it might not be enough with the pill, so I'll try that too.

I have an appointment with my GP but not until September 3, which was the earliest she could see me - it'll be my first time with her. If my conservative treatments haven't worked by then I will request a referral to a CRS.

Thanks again for your reply - it really did help!
ckelley116
Fibre Addict

Postby Roidsfizzman » 26 Jul 2014, 22:52

Hi CK,

Your goal should be to have a BM once a day as it is easer to keep your stools soft. The Dulcolax works more like a laxative, than, a stool softener. I find that when I use the Dulcolax, I often get watery stools and watery stools are not good to heal a fissure or a hem. I would recommend MiraLax as it works more as a stool softener than a laxative. If you go on a high fiber diet, drink at least 64oz of water each day, take the stool softener, and do the hot sitz bath, I bet you will be good in about a week. I saw your post about thinking the hot sitz bath was causing you to bleed. Anytime you put heat on a open wound it will likely bleed a little more. Getting the stools soft so you do not have to strain or push at BM time is the key to healing and once you start healing the bleeding will stop.

If you are not felling better in a week or two, you need to see a doctor as September is too long to wait if you are still having issues.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby ckelley116 » 27 Jul 2014, 11:13

I'm about at the once a day stage. Yesterday was actually twice, but that's unusual. I'm taking Dulco-Ease (should have been specific) - it's a stool softener, not a laxative; I was careful when I chose it. I haven't had any issues with watery stool and I think today it finally kicked in. I had some pain, but didn't bleed. And I haven't had to strain or push for a while now, which is good.

You're right about not waiting. There's a CRS in the hospital right around the corner from me that has a great reputation. I think I'm going to call tomorrow and try to get in. I don't want to wait until September.

Thanks for all the advice!
ckelley116
Fibre Addict