Home from flap surgery!

Internal flap....

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Home from flap surgery!

Postby owmybum » 31 Jul 2014, 06:33

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm home now after my flap surgery. Mr W didn't do a conventional flap in the end, but an internal one.
He excised the fissure and got rid of all the scar tissue, cut a flap from above the fissure and flapped it down over it, stitching it along the bottom. He didn't touch my hemmy.... He said, considering my past history, it's best to leave well alone.
I had a really bad recovery from the anaesthetic.... And an awful reaction to the anti sickness meds... Not helped by my low blood pressure.
I am taking 400mg ibuprofen and 100mg of tramadol... And paracetamol when needed. I have been taking my movicol, plus 10ml lactulose, but have not had a bm yet.... But then I haven't really had more than a couple of mouthfuls of soup. Feeling very tired.
Thankyou all for your well wishes and support, it really makes a huge difference when there are people out there who can truley relate to what you are going through!

Will update soon!
:smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Re: Home from flap surgery!

Postby Apes » 31 Jul 2014, 17:52

Welcome home. Hoping you have a speedy full recovery.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby asdf123456 » 31 Jul 2014, 20:11

Hi OMB,

Happy to hear from you and sorry to hear about the rough reaction to those meds. Wish you a speedy recovery. Does an internal flap mean the skin came from inside your butt instead of outside as is done with house flaps? I'm probably going to get re-flapped in the next few weeks, so I'd be interested to know if this is something different.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby owmybum » 01 Aug 2014, 03:37

Yes asdf.... The skin came from above the fissure and was flapped down. I feel that this way might be a bit more stable, as a bm exiting downwards will not dislodge the flap.
It sounds like the perfect option for you if they feel your outside skin is too fragile.

I've still not had a bm yet. Lots of gas... Which is struggling to escape due to swelling. Doing a wee is odd... It sort of just trickles out in a dribble that takes ages... Prob due to the swelling. I have been bleeding, but not so much that it worries me.

I need to shower as I stink! I am still too dizzy to stand up for any length of time. Do you think it would be ok to have a bath?? I had a swish around in the sitz yesterday, but I was told just to shower.

Still taking the same pain meds.
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby asdf123456 » 01 Aug 2014, 09:40

I wouldn't take a bath unless they give you the OK. Maybe you could set up the shower with something to hold on to? Or a sponge bath if all else fails. I hope you start to feeling better soon.

That is interesting about the internal flap, and perfect timing too...I've never heard of it before and am literally about to schedule my house flap surgery. I'll have to ask about internal flap as a possibility instead. Happy healing.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Aug 2014, 10:46

Hi OMB x
So pleased to read you pulled through and amid the sickness and freshness of the recovery phrase, you sound bright & positive!
If you have a set-up with your shower over the bath, can you not just sit in the bath and shower yourself over to feel fresher?? That's what I did after my op...I can appreciate how you feel!
I guess it's too soon to tell exactly what you're feeling right now with all the meds, but I so hope this is going to sort you out and you are just going to begin to feel better and better and better now!...
And now the fissure is technically gone because they excised it!! it's like you have a "clean slate" to work with again!! Was Dr Windsor confident that everything had gone well for you???
Just get loads of rest now and keep up your strength to recover well.....Will be checking in on you again very soon!
Take care lovely and think positive now that things can only get so much better for you! xxx YAY!!
:smilyhug: :smilyhug:
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Aug 2014, 10:48

.....sorry it might be a bit difficult to "sit" as such!, but lie on your side??..... (in the bath) :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Rachael 1984 » 01 Aug 2014, 11:20

Hi OMB,
So glad your surgery is done! Sorry about the Anaesthetic! Ugh it's awful when it makes you Ill. Rest up now and this is the beginning of the end. So, the Fissure has been excised.. That's great news, so as ETO says a clean start! I'm sending you lots of love and hugs. Xxxxxxxxx

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: :Rock: :smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug: :smilyhug:
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 01 Aug 2014, 14:32

ETO..... I got my husband to shower me down on all fours in the bath!! Under different circumstances he would of thought his luck was in...... But I think if he even made a slight joke about it I would have punched him out!! Lol it was not my finest hour I can tell you!!

Yes Rachael..... It is just like a clean start. Lets hope this time it works eh?!

:smilyhug:

OMB x
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
owmybum

Postby suzyljank » 01 Aug 2014, 17:36

So glad to hear you're on the road to recovery now. Take good care of yourself. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic