Healing after giving birth?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Healing after giving birth?

Postby Keesia » 28 Jul 2014, 04:59

Hello!

I'm a new member here.

I got fissures in spring apparently from giving birth. It was my first time to give birth and they used a suction cup. I've read that women who have gotten fissures because of giving birth usually have their fissures in anterior line as I do. I had some fissures also in posterior line, but I think nowadays they are at least better, maybe fully healed. The fissures in anterior line have always been more painful though.

I got the diagnosis couple of months ago when I went to see a doctor because the pain was very horrible then. While BM I was screaming, sweating, crying... It was more painful than giving birth! And the burn lasted many hours afterwards. I just thought it was hemorrhoids. Then a doctor told me there were several fissures, not hemorrhoids at all. So I started my journey to heal the fissures.

Couple of weeks ago I went to see a doctor again and there were no fissures anymore - I was almost healed - but last week I had only one hard pass stool... Yes, couple of re-tears. I think I was not fully healed, because I felt some pain even though there were no fissures anymore, and then I re-teared.

Is there anyone else who has gotten fissures because of giving birth? How can fissures like that be healed? I just wonder, because while giving birth the pressure goes all the way from vagina, perineum and rectum, and in the same time one has to push soooooo hard... Now I have used diltizem couple of weeks, and it takes away spasms kinda well, but I just had re-tears, so don't know if I'm healing while using diltizem.
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Healing after giving birth?

Postby Apes » 28 Jul 2014, 07:30

It sounds like you have the ability to heal your fissure on your own or with cream. When the doctor said he did not see one anymore it is possible that it was to small to see. If the cream is helping keep using it you also need to make sure your BMS are soft. Drink plenty of water, eat fiber and take a stool softener if necessary. If the cream fails to heal the fissure you will have to look into into the next step, Botox or LIS. good luck, let us know how you are making out.
Fissure 2/13/14 from Colonoscopy
Nitro no help
Nifedipine no help
Botox 5/5/2014 work in progress
HEALED 10/2014
Apes
VIP

Topics: 17

Postby Alyssa » 28 Jul 2014, 19:01

Keesia,
I got a fissure with my first BM after having a C-section (February 5, 2014 my daughter was born, few days later had my BM), I was declared "healed" with Nifedipine in May but my butt has not been the same since. I continue to have constant ache/ pain throughout the day (3/4 pain scale out of 10 sometimes a 5/6) and my BM cause stinging, burning pain most days (had 9 good days last month, with little pain). If the creams have not worked for you, then the next step should be Botox unless you or your doctor are ready for surgery.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Keesia » 29 Jul 2014, 03:55

Thanks, Apes and Alyssa, for your answers!

Apes: Yes, I'm using stool softener everyday, it's a life savior in this condition. Really don't know how I would cope without. I also use enemas, so I do not have re-tears so often. Just before BM I use some zinc cream to less irritation. Now I have been healing a week since re-tears last week and I am feeling much better. Still there's a pain in my bum and I really have to take care of myself, of course. I use to drink plenty of water everyday - I breastfeed, so I need water both for my baby and for myself.

Alyssa: I hope you'll get better and get rid of pains! Maybe it takes time to be fully healed even if there's not a fissure anymore? Are you going to have Botox for your pains to get fully healed? I know what it is like to take care of a baby and try to be healed at same time. Sometimes I find it difficult even to move because of pain and can't sit down, so taking care of baby isn't always so easy. And going to toilet... Yeah, it's not easy. Still I think my baby is the best thing in my life, a reason to live and heal myself. I really want to heal, so I can live a long life and spend time with my precious little one!

Next I'm trying acupuncture, but I still keep using diltiazem.
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Postby Alyssa » 31 Jul 2014, 17:30

Yes I want to be well to live a normal life; this whole experience has changed me as a person as well.. I used to be a happy outgoing person but now I feel sad and depressed all the time. My appointment with the chronic pain doctor is Monday and she will determine what my next steps should be based on my evaluation with her. I am open to the idea of Botox because if that is my only relief to this pain, I'll take it.

I've heard from others that it does take time for things to settle down but what is hard for me to understand is why it takes longer than I actually had the fissure itself. The unfortunate part is that I am not new to ass pain, I had hemorrhoids with my first pregnancy and then got them removed after pregnancy. The ass pain was hell but 3 months later (after the surgery) I was healed and had no pain, minor discomfort and slight bleeding yes but this is another ball game.
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Keesia » 01 Aug 2014, 04:40

Alyssa, I know that feeling! I also am a different person without AF. Now I'm feeling like I don't want to meet my friends anymore, don't want to tell anyone about this. And I think of my butt like a whole day, which is horrible. I'm sad. Still I have hope that there is a cure, there has to be!
Botox could be a good idea, I understand that you consider to have botox. Anything to get rid of this pain and get life back! Hope it goes well with your appointment on Monday! I'm going to have some acupuncture tomorrow, if an acupuncturist could help me with spasms. There are some people who say that acupuncture works if one have AF-spasm. I'm using diltiazem too and it works, but there are still some spasms during the day. And my pelvic floor feels like it was having a big spasm.
I'm sorry you had hemorrhoids and now have AF. You've been going a rough journey with pains and other issues. I don't think anyone should experience this. I hope we all heal.
Keesia
Fibre Addict