2nd retear after LIS

now what!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2nd retear after LIS

Postby sotiredofthis » 25 Aug 2014, 07:22

I had LIS on 4/28. My recovery was pretty hard. I've been having constant burning when sitting since LIS. My CRS has discovered it looks like I have some scar tissue that healed weird and she wants to go in and release it so it no longer pulls when I sit. I was thinking of doing that in November.

Now unfortunately I've had a second retear since surgery. The first was on 8/8 and lasted just 2 days. It only stung during my bm for 2 mornings. The other burning from the scar tissue is always there. Now this morning I had that all too familiar stinging at my fissure site again when I had a bm. No blood either time though. When I tore again on 8/8 I went right back to Rectiv at night for a week. I don't know if that helped with the tear lasting just 2 days or not.

I don't know what to do!!!! I'm afraid my CRS didn't cut enough and that scares me to death!!!! I have IBS and am so worried about incontinence. I haven't had any from the first LIS at all.

I'm going to call the office this morning and see what they think I should do. I'm just so, so sick of all of this!!!! :groan:
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Re: 2nd retear after LIS

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Aug 2014, 10:20

That's awful, Sotired - I'm sorry.
Hopefully it will heal quickly, like last time. Are you using the Rectiv again? Let us know what they say at the doctors. Maybe they could move up the work on the scar tissue to a nearer date?

:smilyhug:

We need a "good luck" smiley!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby sotiredofthis » 25 Aug 2014, 10:50

Thanks, Scientist. I just talked to the CRS nurse practioner. She basically said start using the Rectiv again and see what happens. If it doesn't heal within 10 - 14 days they will move up the date. Unfortunately, I can't do that. I have 4 kids and my husband can't just take off from his job whenever he wants. So I'm stuck waiting until November anyway.

I just don't understand why it feels like it's tearing again. The nurse practioner says we're not even sure it's the fissure re-tearing but I know that feeling. I've been dealing with this stupid thing for 2 years now. I think I know what tearing feels like!!!!

My CRS told me she did a conservative cut so I'm worried it just wasn't enough. Can they do another LIS this soon? It's only been 4 months since my first one. Could it be tightening up again this quick or is the area just not healed all the way and strong yet?

Scientist, did you have surgery? Are you planning on it?
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby woundedspirit » 25 Aug 2014, 11:04

I am so sorry. I know how you feel. In my case it has been due to scar tissue.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Scientist2516 » 25 Aug 2014, 11:48

Hi Sotired,
No, I have not had surgery, and I'm not planning on surgery, because I think I'm OK. I'm 100% fine most of the time, just now and again (with stress or..........who knows?......) I do have some pain for a few days. It's just not bad enough to make me go for surgery.

So I know what it's like to have that feeling of pain and not know what caused it, and to go into despair, thinking it will never end.

One thing to think about is that any wound takes a long time to heal, and the anus has daily trauma with BMs. To me it's like a broken leg. When the cast comes off, the leg is still weak and can still ache, and it takes time for the healing to be complete.

When the CRS told me I was healed, I was still having some pain so I decided to give it a year to heal fully. It's been around 9 months, and I'm close, I think. I guess in your case it depends whether you are still tearing, as opposed to having wound-pain. Maybe you could go in for an exam? I am actually going to go in tomorrow, and hope to be told I'm still fine.

I don't know how long you have to wait before having another LIS. They will probably want to be sure the first one didn't work before scheduling another. Hopefully it did work, Sotired, and all you need is the scar removal. I really hope so.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby sotiredofthis » 25 Aug 2014, 13:31

Scientist, I hope your appointment tomorrow goes great and you fully heal!!! Do you think wound pain could feel like fissure stinging when you have a bm?

One more bit of info I didn't mention, my CRS removed a skin tag associated with my fissure and cleaned out the scar tissue there during LIS. My current scar tissue issue is on the other side. I don't know how the current scar tissue could be causing pain at my fissure area since it's the other side. It's all just so weird and completely disheartening.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 25 Aug 2014, 13:58

Hi STOT,
NO!!! I so want to send you the biggest cyber hug. I'm really sorry you've had another re-tear....maybe the cut was too conservative.... I know there have been other members on the board who've had a second LIS, so it is possible. I would discuss this with the CRS, and write down all of the questions you have for her. In times of stress, we forget things and don't ask what we need to.... Please try and keep positive.... I know it's hard and 2 years is a long time, it takes it's toll on everything. Praying for you. Xxxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby owmybum » 25 Aug 2014, 14:42

I'm so sorry SOT... I know exactly how you feel. I hope things settle down quickly for you with the nitro again.
I have the same problem with husband and youngest child... There's no way he could have as much time off again. That's why I've just decided to leave things and see what happens.

OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby sotiredofthis » 25 Aug 2014, 15:22

Thanks Racheal and OMB. Just feel so defeated.
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Jbl22424 » 04 Sep 2014, 12:26

Feeling any better STOT? I think I saw you were scheduled for another surgery in November, are you doing another LIS with that? I'm considering a second one at this point...
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9