A 25-year-old sufferer who is very frustrated!

Possible fissure recurrence that I don't have the patience for

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

A 25-year-old sufferer who is very frustrated!

Postby palaeo » 18 Sep 2014, 14:06

Hey everyone,

I'm a 25-year-old woman and I was first diagnosed with a fissure and sentinel pile in June (right before my 25th birthday at that!). It was very scary because I'd never had a medical issue in my life before this. I didn't even know what an anal fissure was until the doctor diagnosed me.

I first realised something was wrong when I felt the sentinel pile. I though the stinging during bowel movements was because of the "bump" I was feeling. It was uncomfortable to sit but the pain wasn't too bad even after going to the loo.

I was supposed to have the LIS surgery but my surgeon decided that I did not have a spasm and that the LIS would not be helpful. So he did a fissurectomy and removed the sentinel pile.

The recovery was fine. I was walking around and going out like normal.

A couple of days ago I had a bit of a hard bowel movement and felt a sharp sting. This has scared the crap outta me (pun intended :P) It's a bit sore and there was some blood on the TP after my last BM.

Since the surgery, more than anything, I have been anxious about the fissure recurring. And now I feel that it has. I am going to see my surgeon soon. I am hoping so badly it's not what I fear it is. I cannot bear to undergo surgery again. I'm so so scared and frustrated with this issue. I also feel incredibly helpless.

I'm glad this forum exists and that I'm not alone in my frustration. Hopefully things go well with the doctor and whatever is going on down there gets fixed soon.
palaeo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: A 25-year-old sufferer who is very frustrated!

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 Sep 2014, 17:49

Welcome, Palaeo. I really hope you get some answers and support here. This forum is amazing, and helped me more than I can say.

You are doing the right thing by seeing your surgeon right away. Hopefully this is just a minor set-back, and you can heal quickly. You may want to start using a cream to relax your anal sphincter. Your surgeon can prescribe it - ask him about nifedipine, diltiazem or nitroglycerine.

Also, (I'm sure I don't have to tell you this) try to always have soft stools. Did the surgeon talk to you about stool-softeners, fibre, or mineral oil? Did anyone tell you to drink loads of water, to keep the stool hydrated and soft?

Read as much of this forum as you can. Especially the success stories. See what has helped other people. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Savaici » 18 Sep 2014, 20:59

Welcome to the forum, Palaeo. I know it is easy to say, but try not to worry. You did not say when you had your sentinel pile removed and your fissurectomy done, but if you were only diagnosed in June, you may be still recovering. Glad that you found us though, and hope you get in to see your surgeon soon.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby palaeo » 21 Sep 2014, 02:57

Scientist2516 wrote:Welcome, Palaeo. I really hope you get some answers and support here. This forum is amazing, and helped me more than I can say.

You are doing the right thing by seeing your surgeon right away. Hopefully this is just a minor set-back, and you can heal quickly. You may want to start using a cream to relax your anal sphincter. Your surgeon can prescribe it - ask him about nifedipine, diltiazem or nitroglycerine.

Also, (I'm sure I don't have to tell you this) try to always have soft stools. Did the surgeon talk to you about stool-softeners, fibre, or mineral oil? Did anyone tell you to drink loads of water, to keep the stool hydrated and soft?

Read as much of this forum as you can. Especially the success stories. See what has helped other people. Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply.

I was taking Fybogel for a while and stopped. My stool is pretty normal and I have regular bowel movements (twice or thrice a day) with no pain. Maybe I should start taking the Fybogel again to make sure the stool is softer.
palaeo
Fibre Addict

Postby palaeo » 21 Sep 2014, 02:58

Savaici wrote:Welcome to the forum, Palaeo. I know it is easy to say, but try not to worry. You did not say when you had your sentinel pile removed and your fissurectomy done, but if you were only diagnosed in June, you may be still recovering. Glad that you found us though, and hope you get in to see your surgeon soon.

I had the surgery in June as well, a week after the diagnosis. I was under the impression that it should have healed by now. Maybe it's not as serious as I think it is. I do worry a lot.

Thanks for the reply. :)
palaeo
Fibre Addict