Fearing the Flap

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fearing the Flap

Postby woundedspirit » 21 Oct 2014, 09:15

Well I have an appointment for December 5th to discuss the final details of the flap surgery and set the date for sometime in January. I am dealing with a lot of fear already. I have so many questions. Suzy, I read every thread you ever wrote about it and it has been so so helpful. I can't believe how our stories are almost exactly the same. What hit me most was how you said so many times not to keep putting it off if you needed it. I will probably be bothering you all the time now with questions and was hoping if it comes to it and I feel the need I might speak with you personally. It was so good of you to share your whole story for others to read and gain help and knowledge from. Just wanted to thank you for that.
Last edited by woundedspirit on 21 Oct 2014, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Re: Fearing the Flap

Postby woundedspirit » 21 Oct 2014, 09:21

Oh, and I have decided to try the Isosorbide Dinitrate ointment one more time between now and the surgery. The last time I tried it was before my LIS so I am thinking by some long shot it would work for me this time. Have to a least try. It is made at a compounding pharmacy and it worked for my sister-inlaws sister and she has been fine for a year and a half.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 21 Oct 2014, 14:22

Hi, try not to worry so much. We tend to build it up in our minds worse than it actually is. Ask any questions you'd like and I'll try to answer them for you. You can private message me if you'd feel more comfortable. I wish you all the best. If you need to talk we might be able to arrange that. Fingers crossed here. It does get better. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby woundedspirit » 21 Oct 2014, 21:45

Sounds good Suzy. Thank you. I don't mind discussing it in posts if it will help someone else. Good to know we might chat if needed too. I will try to put my mind more at ease about it too and not expend energy on it imagining the worst. Just a couple questions come to mind at the moment. What kind of prep did you have prior to surgery? And I fear what if I have a day of more formed stool, will it be not only painful but break stitches etc. I think I will start taking Mirilax in the am and pm starting the day before surgery and continue that during recovery.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failed LIS
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby suzyljank » 21 Oct 2014, 23:04

Hi, I had to clean out before surgery. Lucky for me I didn't have to drink a gallon of that stuff I used magnesium citrate. That's not too bad. I had diarrhea the day after surgery and I didn't have much control for a few days. That scared me but it went away. It took a while for the stool to firm up but I was taking miralax and had to lower the dosage. Stool softeners are a must. You don't want to dislodge the flap. It took a while to figure out what I could and couldn't eat. I used to eat a ton of fiber but after surgery I didn't need as much and had to reduce it. I take a maintenance dose of miralax at bedtime and will for the rest of my life. It's a lot of trial and error but you'll find what works for you. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic