So upset

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

So upset

Postby Pamplemousse » 08 Sep 2014, 10:02

Although my fissures have been healed for a while now I have been continuing to have regular appointments with a colorectal surgeon because I am still getting problems in that area, mostly discomfort, which is almost constant, plus there is something back there that swells up periodically and causes a lot more discomfort and tightness too. But they can never find anything wrong. I am just home from an appointment now where the doctor basically suggested it is all in my head. I do have mental health problems but I feel so certain that my anxiety issues have nothing to do with my anus! I know mind and body are connected but still, I am experiencing genuine problems and I have a genuine swelling which unfortunately doesn't ever swell up when I have an appointment. I am so upset that I never get taken seriously and I feel like my mental health diagnoses are a black mark on my medical record. Almost every doctor I come across dismisses my physical problems (any physical problem) as psychosomatic. But even if my problems are psychosomatic (and I seriously don't think they are) then I am still experiencing symptoms I need help with. They are still genuine to me and pretty much destroying my life. I feel like I should possibly try to take a photo of the area the next time it swells up so that I have proof, but I'm not too sure how to achieve that at this stage! It's hardly an accessible and visible area. :roll:

Anyway, Thank you for "listening". Kind words of support are very welcome right now! And needed! :cry:
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: So upset

Postby mmklinemm » 08 Sep 2014, 10:42

That's horrible your symptoms are being dismissed. Could you try another CRS for a second opinion? If you could snap a picture, I'm sure it would help your case. I think there are some members on here whose spouses/partners will take pictures for them. Good luck!!
mmklinemm
VIP

Topics: 13

Postby Pamplemousse » 08 Sep 2014, 11:57

Thank you. I am being treated on the NHS and tend to see different doctors anyway. It actually makes me anxious to see different doctors -- it is in my notes that I need to see the same one each time but they have messed that up twice in a row now. Last time they booked me in with a doctor I actually complained about and this time I saw a doctor I have never met before. I suppose I could ask my partner to get a picture of it though that might be a bit awkward! :oops:

The most annoying thing is how none of the people I see actually listen. I am constantly telling them I have "anal discomfort" and they always refer to it as "anal pain". I'll correct them but they still don't get it. Discomfort can be just as hard to live with as pain! In a way I would actually prefer for the fissures and pain to come back because at least then I know what I'm dealing with and the pain from that was not constant. The discomfort is constant and dragging me down so much. I can't stand it anymore!
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Postby cuzco » 10 Sep 2014, 01:06

I believe a lot of people in this forum, including me, are in the same situation.

I have not have any pain or spasms in a while. But the area feels very tender and swells up a bit after a BM. I also feel discomfort as you've described.

Are you still applying any ointments or medication? I've been putting on nitro for months and haven't had a day without it. I'm beginning to think that it's doing more harm to my skin now.
cuzco
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Jackie5678 » 10 Sep 2014, 20:51

Hi! I am dealing with the same thing! In my area there is only one hospital- medical place. They have computerized records all linked together so they all label me as anxiety! Yes I am anxious but like you I have discomfort. I made a post today but no one responded. I hope you are taken seriously by someone soon!
Jackie5678

Topics: 1

Postby Datura » 11 Sep 2014, 04:50

I have also dealt with the same. I saw my first CRS just the other day and he dismissed me, telling me to eat more fibre and telling me they can't fix bum pain when nothing is wrong.

I'm pretty sure both my anxiety and IBS issues came into it. You go in there, they hear you have anxiety or IBS and their eyes glaze over and they trot out the same stuff you've heard a million times before and send you on your miserable way.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You have my sympathy.
Datura
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Pamplemousse » 07 Nov 2014, 21:21

Thank you so much for the responses. While it is nice to know I am not the only one experiencing something like this, I am sorry others have dealt with similar.

Anyway, with some creative thinking and an awesome feat of acrobatics, I actually managed to get a photo of the swelling and am almost looking forward to showing that in my next surgical appointment. Although I know I'll feel embarrassment over it, I think my overwhelming emotion will be smugness! Perhaps I'll be accused of photoshopping it or something! Haha!

Hopefully they'll start taking me seriously though and actually be able to treat the problem.
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Postby rockybalboa76 » 08 Nov 2014, 13:02

I think taking a photo of the swelling is an excellent idea. It will give them a reference point and something to work with.
rockybalboa76
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Pamplemousse » 18 Nov 2014, 19:03

ARGH! When I saw my GP the other day he said the colorectal surgeon has discharged me. But they said they'd see me again in 6 months. When I told my GP that he said that's probably correct then but he didn't seem certain and I don't know how to find out for sure. So frustrating, especially as I'm not better.

I'm suffering so much tonight. I have swelling, constant discomfort, a feeling that something is in my anus when there isn't (I don't have haemorrhoids). I can't stand this. I actually wish the fissures would return because the pain after BMs is easier to deal with than this CONSTANT discomfort. Sometimes I just don't feel like I can live with this anymore but I don't want my epitaph to read, "death by suicide over anal problems!" (Sorry, I have a warped sense of humour!)

I've been so busy today and have had so much to deal with and that has been made so much harder by the constant, dragging, swollen feeling I have going on back there. I just can't handle it anymore. :-(
Pamplemousse
Salt Bather

Postby Dung_beetle » 22 Nov 2014, 04:30

I have GAD and went through the whole psychosomatic ordeal years ago. It was very frustrating. I knew the doctors were wrong about my bowel problems. My apparent IBS turned out to be severe lactose intolerance. Don't ever give up and believe the psychosomatic excuse that so many doctors seem to use on people with mental illness.

Have you ever been checked for pelvic dysfunction and/or anal abscesses?
Dung_beetle
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2