Post LIS update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post LIS update

Postby msimon » 08 Dec 2014, 23:54

I haven't been on here much as I have been struggling immensely both physically and mentally after my LIS surgery just over 3 weeks ago. I saw my CRS last Thursday for a follow up and he is convinced that the infection is gone and the swelling is down a lot. He also said that my fissure was 1/4 of the size that it was the week before so I had some really good news that day. I was riding high on that until today when my incision site is stingy and twanging all day. I always have loose BMs, I need to on account of my pelvic floor dysfunction, but today was a lot more so and I guess that wasn't good. I am just so afraid of constipation so I guess I would rather go the other way.

I still continue to seep some from the incision site but it is now serrous (sp?) fluid I believe, so I guess that is good. My CRS said that my healing was delayed by the infection. I really hope I can make some headway soon. I am so tired of laying around all the time. Anyone know how long until this incision site should close? I don't see my CRS now until Jan 13. How can this thing close? I am sure it was much deeper and longer than my fissure ever was :(

Thanks for all the support you have given me through this. It has been so wonderful to have you caring and understanding people to lean on. :afsmile:
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: Post LIS update

Postby Alyssa » 09 Dec 2014, 01:17

Msimon,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still suffering but there is some light at the end of the tunnel... The fissure is healing!
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby Jbl22424 » 09 Dec 2014, 01:29

It is so counter intuitive that a new deeper cut will help heal a fissure, isn't it? But in all my reading about fissures on this forum and elsewhere, I've never once read about an incision that didn't heal. I think you just need more time. I wish you the best in your healing!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Rachael 1984 » 09 Dec 2014, 06:13

Hi MS.
I'm sorry you are still having problems..... My incision took 10 weeks to heal.... Give it more time. Mine was only a small incison, so if it's a larger one, it may take a while longer...... Don't give up.
I know about struggling, that's why I haven't been on lately, just depressed. I think god for this forum as it's got me through the hardest times....
It's good news that the fissure is healing, and 3 weeks out, that is good healing. I think if you keep up the regime and be careful you'll fully heal.... Do you know what your incison measured? sending hugs. Xxxxxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby msimon » 11 Dec 2014, 20:07

Thanks guys. It helps to have reassuring words in this difficult time.

Rachael, I don't know the size of my incision but it wept incredibly for the first 10 days, then it got infected and now it is back to weeping so it is definitely rather open, I think...

It was so swollen for so long that it really couldn't be seen. DH has been my eyes as I haven't looked myself. He says it's just a divot/indent at this point, maybe a few mm high. We don't spread anything when we look. How long did you seep for? My infection cleared up almost a week ago and I thought it would stop when I stopped having to press on it but it hasn't...
Seems like every Bm I have, no matter how soft, and it often is too soft still from the antibiotics, it hurts and weeps the rest of the day :(
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64