LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Postby zippitydoodah » 11 Dec 2014, 16:33

So, I've been visiting this forum for months but this is my first post. Hi everyone!

My story started in August, when I had a bad bout of gastroenteritis. I had diarrhea for eight days and finally had to take a course of antibiotics to get better. On the last day of my antibiotics, I had a really painful bowel movement... and nothing has been the same since. You know the deal - bleeding and razorblades, inability to sit comfortably, having to plan my days around BMs and not doing some of the things I enjoy (exercising/biking, traveling, etc.) because of the fear of doing further damage. It's seriously the worst pain of my life (sometimes so bad that I have to just sit on the floor after a BM because my legs are too shaky to stand) and although I have not given birth, I definitely imagine that would be similarly painful. I have done everything doctors told me: ointments and creams, baths, softeners and fiber, using a stool to make my form on the toilet better, healthier diet, the works.. but to no avail.

Six weeks ago my GP referred me to a CRS. I kept on with the meds routine, which initially helped, but I seem to have plateaued. (I think that's probably because I cannot apply the ointment far enough internally because my sphincter is too tight.) At any rate, I saw the CRS this morning and she recommended the LIS and removal of sentinel piles. We scheduled it for late January (due to my holiday trip to see my family). I wish it could be sooner because I hate waiting and cannot imagine six more weeks of this, but I know some of you have been struggling for years and maybe I should be grateful for the extra chance to heal before going through with this.

So, I'm really nervous because I've never had surgery under general anesthesia before... but I'm hopeful that this will get me back on track to being normal again. I will have to travel a lot for work in spring so I'm a little nervous about the healing and recovery period. Any wise or comforting words would be much appreciated!
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Postby Jbl22424 » 13 Dec 2014, 00:24

Some places do IV sedation instead of general, that's how I my surgery went. I was very happy with that, you should ask! I recommend miralax post surgery if you aren't already on it. I take mineral oil when I travel just to be extra careful.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby chachacha » 13 Dec 2014, 20:38

I haven't had general anaesthetic in about 20 years, but am doing so for the LIS in late January too. I will bookmark your post and let you know how things go for me. I hope that you will come back and post an update too. All the best to you and I hope that we can both report great results afterward.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby zippitydoodah » 15 Dec 2014, 12:01

Thank you for the tips. And yay solidarity! It helps so much knowing there are other people out there going through this. I hope everything goes awesome for you, chachacha! I go back and forth between thinking this will be the worst or best thing I've ever done for myself... but after spending yesterday morning writhing in pain for hours (because I had spicy food the night before and then had an awful time with the BM yesterday morning), I'm currently convinced that it will do more harm than good. Here's to hoping...
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 15 Dec 2014, 12:39

LOL - I had a horrendous day yesterday too. I had about 6 movements in 3 hours, and then lay in extreme pain on the couch for another 10 hours. I'm still a bit tender, and sitting on a cushion as I type. Sorry that you had to suffer too.

Yes, I'm also terrified and hopeful about the upcoming surgery. I have read too many of the horror stories, but have also read the successes too. I hope that we will both end up posting in the latter thread!

I forgot to ask if my CRS will be removing the sentinel tag as well, so we may both be in the same boat and have someone to compare notes with right afterward (when we can finally sit again, that is).

But with names like zippitydoodah and chachacha, we both sound like "glass half full" people. That should help, right?
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby zippitydoodah » 15 Dec 2014, 21:10

Hahaha! Aww, I guess we're at the point where all you can do is laugh, then. Or at least try to. ;) I hope you're feeling better today (or at least, relatively). Some days it's harder than others to remember that the glass is half full - but I've still got more in my glass than many others, and for that, I try to be grateful.

I don't know about you, but when we finally started talking about surgery (after the physical exam, blech) but I got so nervous that I just wanted to get out of there! I couldn't even think of any of the questions that I had prepared! (Tip to future readers - write them down!) The CRS even noted that my pulse was racing... lol.

To make matters even more fun, I've come down with a cold. If we could just fast-forward to summertime and get all of this out of the way, that'd be swell!
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 15 Dec 2014, 23:24

I'm always grateful for the wonderful life I have, even if every 4th day is so hellish. Even then though, I know that there are people far worse off than I am, so I try to not feel sorry for myself.

I always have a long list of questions when I visit most doctors, but then I have more after I leave, based on something else that they said.

When I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy a few weeks ago, I told the nurse that I was feeling great (when she asked), but my vitals told a different story! My blood pressure was high and my pulse rate was almost 100. She told me that my body doesn't lie, and I was obviously more nervous about the upcoming procedure than I let on, lol.

Good that you're having the cold now, rather than having to postpone the surgery in January due to poor health. Because while I'm very scared about going through with it, I was actually quite disappointed that I had to wait until late January to get it over with.

Yes, wouldn't it be nice to jump forward in time.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby zippitydoodah » 16 Dec 2014, 11:54

You have a good point - having to delay further would be upsetting. Luckily this seems to be mostly a headcold; too much coughing would be even more upsetting for my poor colon! And another upside - at least if we have to be stuck at home for a couple of weeks to recover, it will be in the winter... so we don't have to miss any fun in the sun! (And once I do get to feeling good enough to go out, I'll be able to convince my boyfriend to clean the snow off my car for me because I have to take it easy! Haha - there's always a bright side!)

Is it standard procedure to have a sigmoidoscopy before LIS? Or is that just a bonus that you got for other reasons? (I'm asking only because there was no mention of any of that during my appointment.)
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 16 Dec 2014, 12:59

The sigmoidoscopy was to determine if there were any other bowel issues that could have been causing the diarrhea, but my CSR declared my bowel "very healthy" except for the fissure and its internal polyp (can't remember the scientific name).

Where are you located? I'm in Toronto, but am already lucky because my husband cleans the snow off my car whenever we have any to remove, lol.

Hope that you're feeling better soon.
Fissure since about 2007
LIS January, 2015
chachacha

Postby zippitydoodah » 16 Dec 2014, 23:55

Ahh, I see. Do you have the diarrhea every day or only intermittently? It happens to me about once every couple weeks, I'd say - more frequently that I used to but not enough to cause alarm. I believe my fissure is also in the typical spot, too, so perhaps that's why my CRS didn't suggest it.

And I'm in Wisconsin, by the way. My boyfriend is usually pretty good about it but I have to be patient because he sometimes does things in his own time. =P

I'm traveling for the holidays tomorrow so won't have the comfort of being in my own bathroom at home... wish me luck.
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather