LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Postby zippitydoodah » 07 Jan 2015, 00:27

I don't think they gave me a number to call... might be somewhere in my paperwork, but I don't think they pointed it out specifically. My health insurance company does have an online messaging system with all of its practitioners, though, so I could definitely check in there. Any chance you have something like that where the doc could get back to you at his/her convenience?

You're probably right that the nurse wouldn't know about your specific situation. I think in hospital practice the nurses are often better informed about their individual patients than the docs, but in the case of surgery, I'd definitely want to speak with the doctor, especially in your case since moving forward with the surgery depends on it.

Today was okay for me. Not especially good or especially bad, but given how bad the bad days are, I'll settle for something in between. Hope you were able to catch a bit of a break today, chachacha.
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby ouch4466 » 07 Jan 2015, 04:31

I also am planning to have LIS at the end of the month...yay lol. This will be my third. My previous dr wasn't a crs but this one is
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby chachacha » 08 Jan 2015, 17:35

I found the nurse's phone number in my paperwork, but will only be speaking with her when she calls next week for the "phone-in" pre-op "appointment". My CRS has said that I am still eligible to go forward with the procedure, so I will be doing so. I have to admit that I'm TERRIFIED though.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had enough experience with the medical system to know that those hospital nurses know so much though!

Yes, an okay experience certainly beats a bad one.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby chachacha » 08 Jan 2015, 17:36

ouch4466 wrote:I also am planning to have LIS at the end of the month...yay lol. This will be my third. My previous dr wasn't a crs but this one is

I don't even know what to say to that A third procedure? I'm very happy to hear that you will be seeing a proper CRS this time though. All the best to you later this month!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 08 Jan 2015, 17:43

I'm sorry to hear that too Ouch. Did you have any testing done prior to planning the third LIS? Such as anal manometry?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby ouch4466 » 08 Jan 2015, 20:34

I did not have testing done, he did an exam and said that he thinks the previous doctor should not have done the LIS both times in the same spot. He thinks it will be beneficial to do it on the opposite side. And that he also didn't think the fissurectomy should have been done either time. I guess he believes in most cases the fissurectomy is more harmful than good. And that's the part that I had trouble with and took the longest to heal. Even though at this time it still doesn't seem healed. The LIS site healed quickly.
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 09 Jan 2015, 12:12

Did he determine you to still be too tight then? I would be concerned about incontinence with a 3rd LIS...
msimon

Postby ouch4466 » 09 Jan 2015, 12:40

Yes the muscle is still too tight. And I believe he is going to cut as little as possible. The first two surgeries did very little if anything. He doesn't think I will have incontinence. I'm hoping it works out. I still have strong muscle spasms after BM. I honestly feel like the previous dr hardly did anything for the LIS, possibly not cutting enough either time. There was hardly even a mark in the spot that LIS was done, but a large wound from fissurectomy. I'm hoping that the LIS done a final time by the crs and without fissurectomy will allow things to heal. I'm only 27 and can't concentrate on life with this literal pain in the a*#. I'm sure you all know about that though.
ouch4466
Salt Bather

Postby zippitydoodah » 12 Jan 2015, 23:42

Ohh, good luck ouch!

For me, the diltiazem seems to have stopped most of the spasming. I'm wondering if I should still go through with the surgery. Is that the only thing it's good for - stopping the spasming? If so, maybe I'm not such a good candidate and should wait longer to see what happens.
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby msimon » 13 Jan 2015, 01:05

Zipp, do you have any other symptoms? Having been through what I have with the surgery I would reserve it as an absolute last resort. Is this the first fissure you have had? And only since August? If so, you may just be able to heal it on your own...
msimon