Dr Mark Hyman / magnesium / soft stools

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Dr Mark Hyman / magnesium / soft stools

Postby Turk the cat » 14 Jan 2015, 00:13

I didn't know much about Dr Mark Hyman until recently when I was doing research into magnesium citrate.

I'm really impressed by the guy and thought I'd share a couple of things with you.

First off here's the article I found written for his website. In mid December I started taking magnesium citrate in powder form, Natural Calm, made by Natural Vitality. It really helps make stools softer, and I was taking 3 tsp a day, but found it can make things TOO soft on those days you feel you need a bit more (say, a regular docusate sodium softener as well.) I was going to stop, but turns out my CRS thinks magnesium citrate is a good idea, so I'm keeping up with it, in a lower dose, just 1.5 tsp daily. Technically yer supposed to have it higher to the point where the poop is loosened, but with the other stuff I'm taking, it is still helping. Also, MC really is relaxing.

MAGNESIUM CITRATE

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/05/20/magn ... available/

KATIE COURIC -- WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE

Then I discovered this segment from his website which has a video with Katie Couric and lots of good advice on a few topics.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/04/19/were ... t-anymore/

I came across this as, alas, been really concerned about getting my stools softer recently, finding 6 weeks post LIS, et al, the dreaded hard-tipped stool is making a reappearance. Anyhow, I'm working on it and things can only get better.

==============

I was very pleased, maybe a bit smug <LOL> to see Hyman's thoughts on constipation (which are on the page in link above) and here they are. Short & sweet:

You should have a bowel movement at least once a day. Chronic constipation can lead to colon cancer and even Parkinson’s disease. Constipation can be caused by low thyroid function, dehydration, magnesium deficiency, intestinal infections, and more. But for many people, this simple home remedy can fix the problem forever:
Take 2 tbsp daily of ground flax seeds (which contain fiber, lignin, and omega-3 fats).

Take 150–300mg of magnesium citrate twice daily in capsule form. You can take more if you need to go to the bathroom. If you get loose stools, cut back. If you have kidney problems, consult your doctor before using higher dose magnesium.

Take daily probiotics—50 billion CFUs of lactobacillus and bifidobacteria.

Drink eight glasses of water daily.

If you don’t feel better after trying this remedy, get your thyroid checked.

==============

I think the above is terrific advice! Here's how I fare with his plan.

I go once a day, sometimes twice. Sometimes I skip a day. Yuck.

While I have taken probiotics in the past, it was only about a week ago that I started taking them again. I hadn't taken Ultimate Flora before but thanks to research, and a rave on this group, it was sort of a no brainer. They aren't cheap, about a buck a day here in Canada, but my gut is worth it. Here's the US website.

http://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-flora ... llion.html

I have been taking flax for a long time, just 1 tbsp, thrown in porridge/cereal/smoothie, etc and boom as Emeril would say. Also, interesting that psyllium isn't on the list. I've stopped taking it, made my stools too thick and hard.

Holy cow! Remember how at the start of this post I was mentioning how I felt the magnesium citrate wasn't helping at times I thought I needed something more. Good advice, I suppose, to just take more.

Eight glasses of water a day?! Er, well, I'm a titch OCD with water, and have consciously gone down to 4 - 5 liters (16 - 20 cups) daily. In fact, I think some of my harder stool problem came b/c I went down too quickly.

I'd LOVE to hear some of your thoughts on magnesium. What type you use, doses, power/pill? Dr Mercola -- who I dig but is imho, a titch how do you say woo-woo -- also has some good articles on the subject and video you YouTube.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Re: Dr Mark Hyman / magnesium / soft stools

Postby Scientist2516 » 14 Jan 2015, 13:52

I don't know anything about Mark Hyman, but statements like this: "Chronic constipation can lead to colon cancer and even Parkinson’s disease." make me sceptical.

I did a quick search to see what's known about constipation and colon cancer, and I found this news article
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/ ... TU20130321

which is about this research article
http://www.nature.com/ajg/journal/v108/ ... 1352a.html

which describes a meta study (a study of many studies) in which no link was found between constipation and colon cancer.

I would need to see hard evidence that constipation leads to Parkinson's disease before I'd believe it. Possibly constipation is an early sign of Parkinson's, since Parkinson's is a neurodegenerative disease which can compromise the part of the nervous system responsible for bowel function. However, that would be Parkinson's causing constipation, not the other way around.

I've got nothing against magnesium citrate or any of the advice in your post, but I do hate false and scary claims.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Re: Dr Mark Hyman / magnesium / soft stools

Postby Turk the cat » 14 Jan 2015, 14:25

Scientist2516 wrote:I don't know anything about Mark Hyman, but statements like this: "Chronic constipation can lead to colon cancer and even Parkinson’s disease." make me sceptical.

Hi Scientist. Oh dear, good catch. That does seem to be a pretty outlandish statement, my eyes just sort of glided over it.

Turk's mom
Turk the cat
Salt Bather