10 weeks Post-LIS update

incision site complication

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

10 weeks Post-LIS update

Postby msimon » 23 Jan 2015, 12:36

Well it's been a rough ride! I had LIS 10 weeks ago and have had recurring swelling and infections at the incision site all along. I had my appointment with my CRS yesterday and things were quite swollen compared to the previous visit to him (even being on the antibiotics-so I was quite concerned) but he doesn't have any OR time until Feb.4 so we decided to try to do something in his office. That was rough. The freezing needle repeatedly jabbing in there, the scissors that I still felt cut the skin and then the squeeze that was so hard I think I'll be black and blue, oh, and then silver nitrate. I feel burned to a crisp down there. He made about a pencil eraser sized drainage hole on the outer edge of my swelling and then cauterized it. Basically I have a two-lobed swelling with each lobe on one side of the incision site (front and back) and then keep swelling up but precious little comes out, and when you press on one lobe you can feel and see fluid move to the other lobe and vice versa. Like a waterbed. lol. So my CRS's plan was to 'unroof' the area and squeeze what will come out and then allow it to drain and heal from the inside out. It seems that I healed with this cavity around the incision site but what I don't understand is why it keeps getting infected and filling with fluid. I had been on antibiotics for a few days before this so there wasn't much puss but mostly fluid and there didn't even seem to be that all that much actually came out but I am supposed to massage the area daily to see if I can get it out. Was given lidocaine for that and am absolutely dreading it. I don't look down there (hubby does) and by feel I can't tell what is what so I'm not sure how that is going to go. So anyway, I am to go with this and still have an EAU on Feb 6 during which he will decide what if anything else is to be done. I sure hope there isn't a fistula tract forming or something as I just don't know where this stuff keeps coming from. And coming and going too. How do you know if a tract is forming?

On the plus side he said my fissure is basically healed but has a very thin layer of skin on it. But that was before he stretched and pulled like crazy down there. I think I even felt a new one forming as he pulled so hard so we'll see. Trying to stay on pain meds for now as mentally I just don't think I could take feeling all that now.

So that's where I am at for now. Hope all goes according to plan!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Re: 10 weeks Post-LIS update

Postby pafen » 24 Jan 2015, 15:48

Msimon,

Has the CRS excluded the possibility of a small fistula since the LIS surgery? Certainly doesn't sound like fun what you are going through. Hopefully what your surgeon has done will now allow you to heal up quite comfortably.

Are you getting drainage from the area that builds up and then goes?

I have had a bit of a flare up myself lately so am going to see a CRS just to make sure the dilation and all this physical therapy hsang caused any harm.

I have some lyrica which I take during these flare ups, really helps with the severe burning pain that not even the oxycodone type meds could settle.

One thing is for sure, we have all had enough of our bum issues!

Hang in there and try to keep the pain under control!
Last edited by pafen on 24 Jan 2015, 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
Hemroidectomy, anal abscess, fissure, LIS
Pelvic floor Dysfunction since late 2012
pafen
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby msimon » 24 Jan 2015, 15:49

That's a worry I have. What are the signs of a fistula?
msimon

Postby owmybum » 27 Jan 2015, 05:43

I'm so sorry you are having all these complications msimon..... You must be at your wits end.

Please keep us updated as to how you are getting on.... And my fingers are crossed you heal up all the way now.

OMB xxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby msimon » 27 Jan 2015, 13:18

Thanks OMB. Today has been rough so far. While I have had pain from the hole the CRS created for drainage, it is the surrounding tissue that is killing me. On fire! And it feels like it goes deep, like deeper that can access the drainage hole maybe? I just don't know what to do. I can't get my EAU until Feb 6. I put a call in to my CRS who is on call this week. It's so typical that about 3-5 days after stopping the antibiotics my pain levels skyrocket. I am totally at my wits end! I really can't see the end of the tunnel here because I just don't know what is going on and what can be done to resolve it :(
msimon

Postby chachacha » 31 Jan 2015, 13:46

so sorry you're suffering - i can't sit yet - hope you get better - how can you type btw? it kills me to bend over and even type a few words.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 31 Jan 2015, 19:02

I am sorry to hear you can't sit yet. I hope you get better real soon. I have a laptop and use it laying down, most of the time. It;s hard on the neck but good for the bum ;)
msimon

Postby Still hoping » 31 Jan 2015, 19:57

Hi msimon, I'm sorry for everything you are going through. You have suffered enough! I hope that things start looking up and your body heals.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby msimon » 31 Jan 2015, 20:21

Thanks Still Hoping. My infection is driving me crazy. Even with the hole he made it still builds up in there and swells, spasms, and get incredibly hot. This has built up over the last 3 days and this morning something finally gave but now I got constipated and am worried for the aftermath of that. I guess all the stress got to my IBS :( Couldn't even get an enema tip in there! I thought the surgery was supposed to fix that...

I see my CRS about this all on Feb.6. I hope things don't get worse before then. It's like there is a pocket in there that seals and opens when things get really pressurized. I'm really worried about what I'm going to wake up with after he looks down there. I just don't seem to heal well :(

How are you doing Hoping? Any improvement?
msimon

Postby Savaici » 01 Feb 2015, 12:48

So sorry that things are so bad for you, msimon. Have they tested you for any auto-immune problems, because does not seem completely normal that you are going through all this. Big hug!!!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222