How much pain medication did you need after LIS?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

How much pain medication did you need after LIS?

Postby Still hoping » 31 Jan 2015, 19:54

I had LIS sixteen days ago. I'm still taking 1600 mgs of ibuprofen every day. Is this normal? Am I just taking a long time to heal? I am concerned about developing stomach problems from taking so much ibuprofen.

The pain seemed to get less and less each day for the first ten days after surgery. But I feel like I have plateaued the last few days. I assume that if I had a problem, like an abcess, I would be in a lot more pain. I haven't had pain after bowel movements, it's just pain on and off during the day.

Thanks!
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: How much pain medication did you need after LIS?

Postby msimon » 31 Jan 2015, 20:39

That is a lot of ibuprofen. I was prescribed ketorlac and acetaminophen together and they really didn't touch my pain very much. I found ibuprofen was fairly effective but still not enough...have you tried acetaminophen just to give your stomach a break? Do you take your meds with a meal?

I still had a lot of pain for a good 6-8 weeks post surgery but I have had an infection since about 1 week in so I really shouldn't comment about how I did. I have heard of others, without complications, having pain for quite some time (several weeks) after LIS. Everyone is so different with this surgery. When do you have a follow up with your Doctor?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Still hoping » 31 Jan 2015, 22:41

Thanks msimon. I know you had a rough recovery from LIS because of the infection. I hope better days are ahead for all of us recovering from LIS and fissures.

Good suggestion acetaminophen. I actually did alternate ibuprofen and acetaminophen today to try to give my stomach a break. But I had more pain so I don't think the acetaminophen did anything. That's when I started getting concerned about how much ibuprofen I'm taking.

My follow up with the doctor is in ten days. I probably will call the office this week to let them know how much ibuprofen I'm taking. I started taking ranitidine today to try to protect my stomach.

It's good to know that some people have pain for several weeks after LIS without complications. It's hard to know what's normal, people seem to have such different experiences.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby Still hoping » 06 Feb 2015, 23:22

I talked to the medical assistant in my doctor's office earlier this week. She said that I should be off the ibuprofen over the next two weeks and just make sure to take it with food. I have reduced the amount of ibuprofen down to 1200 mg a day. I still have irritation, it's the most bothersome when I walk. I can sit for small periods of time but try to avoid it if I can.

Last November I was supposed to have LIS but I got sick with a very bad cough. After that, I noticed a sore lump behind the anal opening. It got better over time. I saw my CRS in early January and he said it was a thrombosed hemorrhoid and it was getting better. I asked if it would affect the surgery and he said no. I am now wondering if maybe that thrombosed hemorrhoid has flared up and is giving me this irritation. My follow up is in a couple of days so I hope to find out the answer then.

I was reading some of the stories on this website. Some people are pain free two weeks after LIS. I really hope I am having normal healing and it's just slow, and not some other problem.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 07 Feb 2015, 14:49

I understand your concern Hoping. I have had nothing but trouble after my LIS. Yesterday I had to get the whole incisional (size of a thumb nail) debrided (top layer of skin removed) due to a recurring infection that 4 rounds of antibiotics could not resolve. So I understand slow going. I think it's definitely work a checkup from your Doctor. When was the last time you saw them? How are your BMs post surgery? Did you have trouble with them before surgery?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Still hoping » 08 Feb 2015, 19:55

Thanks msimon. You have been through so much more than I have with your procedures. I am hoping this most recent one will really help you. I had never heard of a disposable sponge before. I hope it dissolves fast.

I haven't seen my CRS since the surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I have an appointment in two days. We are in the middle of a two foot snowstorm here so I really hope I can get to the appointment. My BMs are good. I had worked out a good system of fiber filled foods and miralax before surgery so I was pretty regular and pain free. The is my third fissure so I think already being on the nifedipine helped with the pain.

Yesterday I developed a new pain, sharp and stabbing throughout the day. I think I will start a new thread on it to get people's insight. I can't wait to see my doctor!
Still hoping
Salt Bather