LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS scheduled... nervous but hopeful

Postby msimon » 23 Jan 2015, 16:40

:rainbow: Congratulations! Let us know how you are doing when you feel up to it.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby zippitydoodah » 26 Jan 2015, 09:58

Hope you're healing well chachacha!
-Fissure since August 2014 after diarrhea and antibiotics
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
-LIS & skin tag removal scheduled for late January 2015
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby zippitydoodah » 25 Feb 2015, 09:28

So, an update on me... as you know I didn't go through the surgery as scheduled in January. I've been doing better but still am not totally healed. My pain is less and shorter in duration but still a daily thing. I still have to very closely monitor what I eat, take the right meds, soak in the tub, and plan my mornings around BMs. I have had days where I felt that the BM itself was close to normal, but every couple weeks or so I have a bad day that sets me back. I had some diarrhea last night and am feeling pretty crummy today. So although I've been really hopeful and am still in a better place than I was 3-4 months ago, now I'm thinking about the surgery again. I just want to break out of this cycle and move on with my life. I've realized that this is a mental struggle every bit as much as it is a physical one.
-Using diltiazem, baths, ibuprofen, magnesium, high fiber diet/supplements, probiotics, coconut oil, cleaning with water & wipes only
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 25 Feb 2015, 10:32

Nice to see you back zippity, but sorry to hear that you're now thinking of the surgery again. I have to say that I am one happy camper now, despite my first days and couple of weeks post-op. I am like a normal person again and have regular, and pain free BM's all the time! I honestly can't believe that my fissure pain is now behind me and hope that it stays there!

Is now a better time for you than it was a month ago? I'm still not sure if I'd ever recommend this surgery to anyone else though, because of the many horror stories that I've read about on these boards, but for me, it was a very, very, very good decision.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Turk the cat » 25 Feb 2015, 18:52

Go. For. The. Surgery. Otherwise you'll always be "What if?"

It's not a cakewalk but you've got it. Trust me, I'm a cat.

PS. You're Canadian right? Just curious how quickly they can schedule you in? Not that there's a rush. My CRS, who is a pretty popular fellow, took seven months, although if I had really nagged probably could have shave a bit off.

xx, Turk
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby zippitydoodah » 02 Mar 2015, 16:44

Aww, chachacha, I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well! We were going to be surgery buddies and then I flaked out on you so I'm happy you made it through. <3

And Turk - you must know me better than you realize. I'd be more likely to take my cat's advice than any human's! haha she's the best. I'm not Canadian - I think you're thinking of chachacha. Before when I went in for my consultation they had offered to schedule me in about 2-3 weeks, but that wasn't doable due to my holiday travel schedule... and then life got really hectic again with traveling for job interviews and conferences. Now is not a great time - I have a conference to travel to in three weeks, and then my thesis is due the first week in April. However, I will have five or six weeks between turning in my thesis and graduation, when my work load will be greatly reduced and I could do most or all of it from home. I'm thinking that might be my golden window... in which case I should probably go in for another consultation soon. (I'm guessing they'd want to see me again since it's been four months.) If they can't get me in there's always the possibility of doing it after graduation but I would just love to be already on my way to healing so I can celebrate like a normal person! (I wouldn't go crazy or anything because I know it's delicate for awhile, but it would at least be nice to go out to a restaurant for dinner or something like that!)

I read a while on a different (more general) health forum last night and it seemed like most people there were glad they had done it. I think this particular forum makes it seem a bit scarier because most people only stick around here if they're still struggling... those who have healed move on and don't come back to visit as much... (though thanks to those of you who do)!
zippitydoodah
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 02 Mar 2015, 17:14

Yes, you were going to be my buddy, so if you decide to have a LIS, I'll hold your hand afterward.

I guess it will all depend on how you feel between now and April? You could certainly schedule another appointment and then see how things are closer to the date.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19