LIS surgery Tuesday

Journal of LIS and recovery postpartum

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS surgery Tuesday

Postby Broncosgirl » 02 Apr 2015, 10:05

Thanks for checking in! Here is where I'm at...

Day 2: By yesterday evening the pain from the first BM had subsided and my pain stayed at a level 1-2. I took 2 tylenol before bed and a sleeping pill and had a wonderful night sleep almost pain free

When I woke this morning I had no pain at all. I even sat for 30 minutes to breastfeed and felt nothing while sitting (it has been a bit uncomfortable up till this point).

Then, I had to have my morning BM. Because I felt so good I thought it might not be painful, but it was about a 7 again on the pain scale. This BM was much bigger than yesterday's though. What I can say is that right after the BM I had no burning pain like I have for the past month and even after yesterday's BM. The pain instantly went from a 7 back to about a 2-3. I hope this is a good sign.

Oh, and my doctor's assistant called me back yesterday and am said the continued pain with BMs was normal at this stage. I wish I would have spoken to my actual doctor and not her so if the pain lasts at this level with BMs through the weekend I will call back.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Broncosgirl » 02 Apr 2015, 11:59

Day 2 update: the pain increased shortly after my last post. It is a burning pain like I used to have with spasms at about a level 5 on a pain scale. I am worried I am still gettin spasms and that the surgery will not work. I have read through so many journals on this form and it seems as though everyone experiences fissure pain relief almost instantly... Mine feels no different than it did before surgery. I am almost 100% sure the pain is coming from the fissure and not the incision. If this surgery doesn't work I don't known what I will do. I can't live this way any longer.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chachacha » 02 Apr 2015, 13:52

Please don't worry so soon, it's only Thursday now. I had some big worries myself during the first three days and then none after that. Luckily I was able to speak directly to my surgeon though, but he assured me that it was still very early days and these things just take time. Hopefully you'll see more progress by tomorrow.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby NDMK312 » 02 Apr 2015, 15:58

Please, please, please don't worry. I agree with chachacha, it is still early. I was in the same boat too early on thinking "what did I do and is this really going to work." I can't say I'm fully out of that boat yet. We've all been dealing with this for far too long and just want that relief so badly. It will get better, I have faith. I think the swelling, as msimon pointed out, causes a lot of discomfort. The Ibuprofen has been my saving grace. Maybe see if an anti-inflammatory eases things up if you haven't already tried that. Chin up! We're in this together, and I'm rooting for you!
NDMK312
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby msimon » 02 Apr 2015, 18:22

Just wanted to chime in Broncosgirl and say it is WAY too early for you to know how things will turn out. You had surgery in a very sensitive area and I would be more surprised if you weren't it quite a bit of pain. It will be temporary though. As your body heals, each day will get a bit better. Try to keep pain meds in you around the clock and keep the faith. Most people have success with this surgery.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Broncosgirl » 02 Apr 2015, 18:29

Thank you all. You're right. I am jumping the gun. I think that I was so drained by this before even going into the surgery that I did not have much in me to cope with the post-surgery process. Your words of encouragement have been helpful and I will look at this moment as the beginning of the end of my pain :) here's to almost being done with this!
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Broncosgirl » 03 Apr 2015, 09:21

Day 3: My pain last night remained at about a 1-2. I did not need to take any pain meds

When I woke this morning, my pain was still at a 1-2. During my BM the pain was about a 6 which is very slightly less than yesterday and the burnings afterward was about a 4 which is also slightly less than yesterday. Hopefully this is a trend and my pain will continue to decrease each day.

Since my pain is so low by the afternoon, do you think it would be safe to start exercising again? I was thinking about doing the elliptical and was wondering if that may even be helpful to increase blood flow since I have mostly been laying around since the surgery.
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby msimon » 03 Apr 2015, 19:24

My CRS gave me no restrictions after my surgery so I would think as long as you take it slow a little exercise would be good for circulation. Just listen to what your body tells you.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Still hoping » 03 Apr 2015, 20:42

I think it's wise to listen to how your body feels. I wouldn't have felt like exercising for at least a week so don't push it if you don't feel up to it yet.

I hope that your pain with bowel movements gets less and less each day. Different people seem to heal differently and in different time frames.
Still hoping
Salt Bather

Postby laban21 » 03 Apr 2015, 20:57

I had a fissurectomy with botox and skin tag removal two days ago. I still haven't had my first BM so I don't know what kind of pain to expect. Any ideas? Anyone who's had experience in this area?
Misdiagnosed with hemorrhoids in summer and fall '14
Diagnosed with an anal fissure in around Sept '14
Nifedipine cream since late '14
Tried botox around Oct/Nov '14
Hemorrhoid mistaken for skin tag until early '15
Fissurectomy April 1st '15
laban21
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4