Am I healing????

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Am I healing????

Postby felix » 05 Apr 2015, 13:48

Hi everyone and thanks for having me! I have been watching posts on this forum for a while and have got some fab information from you all so thank you!
I had what I think was a fissure back in Jan and thought it would just pass. However, after 3 weeks of pain and bleeding I went to a GP and was told I had a perinanal heamotoma. I left it a bit longer but finally, after 5 weeks the pain got less and the bleeding stopped. I have been eating lots of fruit, taking psyllium everyday, using coconut oil, Manuka honey and drinking lots of water. At the 8 week mark, the pain pooing was a lot less and I have not bled again since week 5 but because of spasms and aching started on rectogesic.
It has now been 4 weeks on the rectogesic and I have no pain when pooing, no blood, no spasms (and havent for the whole 4 weeks) and (gross though it is) can get my finger in there and push all the way round without any pain but still get some strange senations (pricking, itching, odd soreness now and again) and can feel something that does not feel smooth (almost like a ridge of skin inside). The whole thing was awful and I am terrified I will either retear or that it is not really healed and will come back once I stop the cream.
My questions are: Does it sound like I am healing?, Does stopping GTN cream make the fissure return? and when do you stop panicking about retears?
Thank so much for listening and I hope you all feel better really soon x
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Re: Am I healing????

Postby Scientist2516 » 05 Apr 2015, 15:09

This sounds like great news, Felix! I would continue the GTN for a while longer, because you really want to heal fully, and not risk a set-back or re-tear. Also, keep up the good diet and hydration habits for several months, (or the rest of your life; why not?).

My crs said to continue the GTN for four weeks after the pain stopped. In the end I continued using it for over a year, because there would be occasional pain and set-backs, even after a few weeks without pain. It just seemed really important to get as fully healed as possible before stopping treatments.

Congratulations on getting relief so quickly.
:wel: :goodnews:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby felix » 05 Apr 2015, 15:26

Thanks so much for your reply. I am def going to use the GTN for as long as possible (my GP recommended using the whole tube so about 8 weeks worth) and generally eat a good diet, it was actually really bad norovirus that landed me in this situation in the first place! I just can't believe how much of my mental energy my bottom takes up at the moment....Did you have scar tissue? I am pretty sure the slightly strange feeling skin inside is some sort of scar tissue but the GP couldn't see anything and was really dismissive. I would just like the anxiety of it all to go away and to feel confident that I am not going to end up going back to square 1...Horrid.
Thanks again for your advice and long may your bottom remain healed! :)
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Scientist2516 » 05 Apr 2015, 20:09

I hear you about the mental energy. I was pretty obsessed by the pain, my diet, etc for literally months.
I don't know if I have any scarring, because I don't want to stick my finger up to feel for scars. I did feel strange sensations in my anus for many months. A bit of prickling, a "wormy" feeling, and often just a feeling that something was off or different down there. It's all gone now. I'm really back to normal.

I don't know if the anxiety will ever go away fully, but I rarely think about the fissure these days. When I do, it's mostly to remember how I couldn't do something before, and now I can (like get into a car without being really careful). I am sure you will get to this point before too long.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby felix » 06 Apr 2015, 04:07

It is exhausting and I have definitely gone off on tangents about all kinds of worse case scenarios. To be honest, I have had minimal pain for over a month and no pain for at least 3 weeks so think I am probably on the mend and the most part of it is psychosomatic...If I think about it too much, I start noticing things more!
It is so good to hear a positive story though and to have a place to get info and support so thanks again..
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist