Aching pain after bowel movements and when sitting

Post-Fistulotomy healing

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Aching pain after bowel movements and when sitting

Postby Cporosus1 » 06 Apr 2015, 19:18

Hi everyone,

My fistulotomy is all healed up (it took just under 13 weeks, which seems about like the average time for a deep but low simply fistula) but ever since it fully healed I have been getting throbbing pain from the area, particularly after bowel movements and when sitting in certain positions. There is NO discharge or blood of any kind during bowel movements or otherwise. There is no abscess and no fever. The only abnormal bit is some hard tissue where the cut was and this hard tissue aches when I press on it, but this has been there since the fistulotomy was performed and I assume it is scare tissue (it has no size to it and is not an abscess). Wouldn't a recurrent fistula involve discharge or an abscess or something other than pain? The pain CAN occasionally be quite severe but can sometimes go away. It's been about 4-5 days since it began (right around the time the wound fully closed) but it also seemed to coincide with a slightly hard bowel movement I had 4-5 days ago. Could I possibly have a fissure? There is and was no blood though.
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Re: Aching pain after bowel movements and when sitting

Postby msimon » 08 Apr 2015, 02:42

You could have a fissure or this could also be nerve pain from having had surgery down there. Maybe you could try icing the area when it is throbbing and see if it helps? Ice often confuses nerves and makes them stop causing pain.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Cporosus1 » 08 Apr 2015, 02:50

Thanks! I visited my surgeon this afternoon and he said there was no signs of infection nor was there any sign of fistula recurrence. He said it was 99% healed with just a tiny 10th of an inch size spot that was at the surface but not fully healed over. He said that could be what was causing the pain. But yes nerve damage makes sense too. It's all fine by me so long as I don't need to be opened up again! :)
Cporosus1
Salt Bather

Topics: 28

Postby msimon » 08 Apr 2015, 16:37

I know what you mean by NO MORE SURGERY!
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64