off diltiazem after only 2 days

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

off diltiazem after only 2 days

Postby Bottominal Blues » 30 Aug 2011, 20:01

I was so excited to get my diltiazem. I have had a good couple of weeks and figured this could only make it better....no, after just 2 days I had to go off it as I am sure it made my BM's harder and injured me again. My BMs have not been a problem at all, until I tried this med. I read here that someone else felt it caused this problem so I hope it is not just in my mind. And last night I was up all night with pain and burning after using just a teeny tiny bit so that is it. Getting very depressed here. Went to a herbalist to get some weeds and garden rakings to steep into a most nauseating drink....oh what we do when desperate. I have a script for nitro as well but am afraid to try it now. Do you think the effects are different?
Thanks.
BB
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Re: off diltiazem after only 2 days

Postby Bernie » 31 Aug 2011, 02:00

I've had 2 different reactions to diltiazem. Both were diltiazem hydrochloride 2% and according to my GP, they're exactly the same. However, one was diltiazem cream (to be kept in the fridge) - this I have found fantastic - the other was diltiazem ointment (didn't have to be in the fridge, and was like a petroleum jelly mix) - this caused huge irritation. After using it as prescribed, I tried only applying it before a BM. It did lubricate the area (though no more than normal vaseline) it still left me itchy and burny, so I went back to the GP and made him prescribe me the cream.
Nitro worked immediately for me (it gave me headaches which is why I had to stop using it). As you already have the script for it, I would get the nitro and try it. You won't lose anything, and are already in agony. If you do get the headaches, make sure you drink tons of water and dose yourself up (safely!) with painkillers. Not everyone gets headaches, so don't worry about that yet. And even if you do, you may decide that a healed backside is worth them!
Good luck!
Bernie
Salt Bather

Postby Bernie » 31 Aug 2011, 02:02

Oh and about making the BMs harder again, I don't think diltiazem makes any difference to that (at least in my experience). Make sure you're still eating well, drinking lots, and taking your softener (eg movicol).
Bernie
Salt Bather

Postby Bottominal Blues » 31 Aug 2011, 16:55

Thanks, you're right, nothing to lose and hopefully lots to gain (like my life back) by trying the nitro!
Cheers, BB
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Postby of all the places to hurt » 31 Aug 2011, 18:38

Bottominal Blues!! STOP... THINK & READ FORUM PLEASE!
Diltiazem is gently applied to the anus , yes? The exit, yes? Bm's are formed way before the exit. So this cream cannot have any medical affect on the "consistency" of bm's. Movicol/Miralax stool softeners do that. They are your best friend right now. If what comes out is softer it doesn't hurt as much right? The long term side affect with this cream is minimal. It will long term, thin the skin around which it is applied, but by then, your CRS hopefully, will have tried every avenue to prevent the end scenario. SO, cream (dilt), or nitro which is working for some people. Personally, I could not cope at all with the banging headaches that accompany this cream as well as fissure/butt spasms Image Then, after ruling out Chron's or other menacing health conditions, Botox injections are the next step offered. If that fails, and some have 2 or 3 goes of botox for maximum effect, then last resort is LIS. Personally, I wish I could miss the botox and all the crap that comes with it! We each of us know our own bodies. I know, that deadening my o, aint gonna do jack s... sorry! :oops: To me deadening that area is great in the short term but if I can't feel my bm's (coming out hard or soft?) then surely I am at risk again of another fissure/s?? Got a tight butt hole, end of! Not brought on by anything it just is that way. And, cos of this forum and research, LIS for me, whether I like it or not its the reality after chronic fissures. All the creams & potions in the world can't stop it re-occurring. So, we are left to rule our own asses! Cream the area before bm (whether it be oils, creams, vasoline , whatever helps the transit of stools? Then pain management and ultimately, cure....be it Botox, creams, LIS or a miracle....But research yourself and listen to us boardies, others on here are way ahead of me and they know best. They have been there and bought the T-Shirt time and time again!"!! Don't give up on your ass, beat it as it's yours!!!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 31 Aug 2011, 21:27

Hey BB,
I used Diltiazem for months and the only side effects were an itch and a rash after about two months, I beleive. It could be just a coincidence that you had a harder bm after using Diltiazem and has nothing to do with the ointment. I'm with Andrea on this. It just doesn't make sense that a cream could cause a harder bm. I ate about the same thing for months, would drink a gallon of water a day. I still had re-tears(many times) and what felt like harder bms for no reason. Image It's maddening! I would try to analyze every little thing I could have done to cause it. I just don't believe there's always a cause besides the sphincter is in spasm and makes a normal bm feel like a brick. I mean how many times have we all passed bm's before a fissure and never knew the consistency or weren't taking stool softners and never had problems?! But once it happened and the sphincter went into spasm, we all thought/think we are having good bm's and bad ones. I understand the pain level is less with very super soft bm's but what I'm trying to say is the clenching is probably happening which can cause the bm problems and make you think what the hell did I change to cause this! Image
If you could tolerate the Diltiazem or the Nitro then I would try and stick with one of them. It can take a week or so but it will help your pain level and the spasms.
I hope things get better for you soon Image

Postby Bottominal Blues » 03 Sep 2011, 15:38

Thank everyone, I know you guys are right, its just, well you know, you are counting every gram of fibre you eat, counting the number of glasses of water you drink and speculating on every possible connection between your life to your BM's trying to find the "cure". I did try the Diltiazem again, and same results, I don't know, maybe it is all in my mind (no, it is in my butt!). I have to do what I can because my first CRS appointment is Nov. 30! Bit of a wait, but what can you do? As long as I can function at work which starts again on Tuesday, then I am okay. If not, then there are serious problems.....
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Been using Diltizem2% off and on for a couple months

Postby Latino81 » 10 Apr 2015, 09:28

This is the petroleum base so does not need refrigeration.
I've have had problems for a couple years now due to the medications i have to take.
Along with the cream I take Metamucil (my life saver) twice a day 2 hours before or after meds (a must)
then first thing in the morning I eat high fiber cereal and follow it with half a glass of warm to hot water and wella in less than half hour i have a bm.
Latino81