Excessive wiping?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Excessive wiping?

Postby Hedgehog » 16 Apr 2015, 12:53

Hello!

I have been dealing with anal fissures that come and go for about 2 years now. The first one popped up after a colonoscopy, which I guess is a pretty common cause.
These past few months, I got some small fissures again. I'm just wondering what could have caused these ones? I haven't had any rectal exam. The only thing I could think of, is that every night for a long time, I had to apply an anti-hemorrhoid ointment and, well, I had to put my finger about half an inch inside my anus for that.
Another cause I could think of is maybe because of excessive wiping? I have a fast working metabolism and have 2-3 BM's per day. They're rarely ever diarrhea and almost never too hard, but I do wipe a lot. And not always very carefully. Plus, the toilet paper at work is that kind of cheap crap that feels like barb wire.
Could that also cause anal fissures?

Is it true that once you've had an anal fissure in your life, you're more likely to it again later?
Hedgehog

Topics: 1

Re: Excessive wiping?

Postby Scientist2516 » 16 Apr 2015, 17:51

Hi Hedgehog,
sorry you are going through this. I have a couple of thoughts. First, does your anti-hemmie ointment contain hydrocortisone? Because long term use of HCs can thin the skin, and is not recommended.

Second, definitely back off on the wiping. I know it's difficult if you feel horrible if you are not totally clean. Try not wiping aggressively during the day, and showering at night and/or in the morning. This is where a bidet would be really great, but not many people have room for one.

Also, stop using that sandpaper stuff at work, and get yourself some alcohol-free wet-wipes. Tucks are good, and come in a small discreet container. I think you can't flush them (look at the packet). If you are female, that's not too problematic because you can wrap them in TP and dispose of them in the sanitary napkin bin. If you are male, I think handicap stalls usually have a waste bin in, so try that.

Hopefully your fissures will clear up soon. Keep us posted!
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16