For every woman ever wondering if her hormons have an effect

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

For every woman ever wondering if her hormons have an effect

Postby Fissulyna » 20 May 2010, 02:28

I am currently doing a research on estrogen effect on colon mucosa. I found many, many articles confirming what I always suspected - that yes - colon has many estrogen receptors (and for some other hormones) and cell proliferation is directly effected by it.
This find can explain why so many female fissure sufferers have worsening of the symptom during certain "times of the month" or while on a Birth control Pill. : ((
Mapping of androgen, estrogen and progesterone receptors in the anal continence organ
G Oettlinga, H.B.G Franzb
Received 17 April 1997; received in revised form 2 July 1997; accepted 10 September 1997.
Abstract
Objective: To investigate the expression of androgen, estrogen and progesterone receptors (ARs, ERs, PRs) in the tissues of the anal continence organ using immunohistochemical techniques. Study design: Thirty-nine samples of anorectal tissue were obtained from 23 patients (seven men, seven premenopausal women and nine postmenopausal women). Immunostaining for ARs, ERs and PRs was performed by the ABC technique using 3,3′-diaminobenzidine tetrahydrochloride as the chromogen. Results: Specific immunostaining for ARs, ERs and PRs was found exclusively over cell nuclei. ARs were found in the smooth muscle cells of the internal anal sphincter in all but one of the females (10/11) and all males (7/7), ERs were found in 12/12 females and 4/7 males, and PRs were found in 4/10 females and 1/7 males. The squamous epithelium exhibited a similar pattern of immunostaining. The nuclei of the striated muscle fibers expressed none of the sex steroid receptors investigated. Conclusion: The intense expression of ARs, ERs and, in some cases, PRs in the tissues of the anal continence organ at all ages and in both sexes indicates that this organ is a target for sex steroid hormones.

Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: For every woman ever wondering if her hormons have an effect

Postby Guest » 10 Aug 2010, 14:43

This is very interesting. I am so scared for that time of the month to come again!!

You are on to something

Postby whyme » 16 Aug 2010, 05:53

You are on to something. I haven't been on the site for sometime, until a recent discovery I found. I am on the way to the doctor this morning for a skin biopsy.
Check out Lichen Sclerosis. My menopause has brought this Auto Immune disease to the fore front. After reading everything I can on the internet about this, it appears that I have had this for several years, probably the cause of my anal fissure to begin with. And it appears that the sudden drop in estrogen has caused me to have several flair ups in the past year. Not any more issues with the anal fissure, but severe itching around the anus and now all of my vulva area. UGHHHHHH.
whyme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: For every woman ever wondering if her hormons have an effect

Postby nextlifetime » 17 Aug 2010, 20:49

I was just looking to see if anyone had heard of hormones affecting healing rate so I'm glad I stumbled upon this. Makes me not think that I'm grasping at straws. I'm on hormone replacement therapy but before I needed that, I had polycystic ovaries (cause excess hormone...androgen I think) the fissure did act up during my period...double whammy.
Now I'm thinking my slow rate of healing might be from insulin resistance. Since I'm not diabetic, no one cares to think any further about it. Hormones...interesting.
nextlifetime
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: For every woman ever wondering if her hormons have an ef

Postby Sufferingbadly » 17 Apr 2015, 00:20

Omg this is awful news for me if this is true. I just had my second baby (c section) I had horrible constipation with recovery and a couple weeks later I had this fissure. It causes me so much pain, I can not walk comfortably nor can I bend over without feeling like I am ripping it open. I also have a big sentinel pile the size of a bean! That thing is so sensitive I can't touch it! I am breastfeeding, and I also still have my linea nigra which I was told hasn't gone away cos my hormones and estrogen levels are still high :/... I can't plAy with my babies cos I'm alwYs in pain. I am hating life right now.
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5