Lis Tuesday April 21

Scared of Lis

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Lis Tuesday April 21

Postby Lincoln » 18 Apr 2015, 13:28

Hello I've been suffering with a fissure since August 2014 and I've tried all compounded creams and rectiv. My doctor feels and suggested lis to help heal the fissure. Although I've scheduled surgery I've now become terrified so much so I'm having major anxiety. Today my fissure pain is pretty awful too please help me decide what to do! I've had c sections, kidney stone stents and those surgeries are tough. Is lis tolerable?
Lincoln
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: Lis Tuesday April 21

Postby chachacha » 18 Apr 2015, 15:48

I had two c-sections, but didn't find them difficult, and my LIS was quite easy other than the first night which was due to the fact that I thought that the external swelling was my internal hemmies prolapsing, and stupidly tried to ram the swollen material back up my bum hole. After that, the pain was quite tolerable for the first week (about a level 5), and then barely there for the next two weeks (about a 2-3). All was completely good after week 3 and I can still not believe how wonderful my life has become. I marvel at each and every perfect bowel movement and at how much I used to suffer after one! This was the best thing that I've ever done in my life (other than having my kids), and I hope that if you find the courage to go through with it (it took me a long time to be brave enough) that you heal as quickly and easily as most people do.

:|:
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Lincoln » 18 Apr 2015, 16:25

:thankyou: so much for replying. My pain stays for hours after my movements and is always there at some level. It's even difficult for me to take a full stride when walking. It's becoming all encompassing and I need to follow through! I really appreciate you sharing your recovery story with me. I need to just suck it up and be brave and keep the faith that it will all be ok. I didn't even realize the incision wasn't inside but made outside and in and when I read that it scared me. My surgeon said he would be making a small incision to release the sphincter but he didn't say where and I assumed and didn't ask and that really threw me. If you have time and you remember could you maybe tell me how painful your incision site was? Thank you again! Good health to you and yours!
Lincoln
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 18 Apr 2015, 18:59

Is your Surgeon a CRS Lincoln. You want to make sure you have a very experienced surgeon for this procedure.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Lincoln » 18 Apr 2015, 19:33

Yes he is a board certified colorectal surgeon with 16 years of experience. I will be doing this outpatient day surgery. I just read your posts my you have been through so much
Lincoln
Salt Bather

Postby chachacha » 18 Apr 2015, 19:57

And where are you located, Lincoln. Both msimon and I are in Canada and had incisions both outside and in, but a couple of American posters have had their surgeries done by opening the anus wide and going in through there without a second cut. I don't know if it is a regional issue, or just different surgeon to surgeon. You should ask your CRS so that you can be more careful than I was, because I didn't know that my incision was outside until it was too late, and I had man-handled the area badly.

My whole story is here, in the Anal Fissure Success Story sub-forum lis-success-for-me-t9369.html
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Lincoln » 18 Apr 2015, 20:07

I am in the United States he said it would be a tailored lateral internal sphincter. That's why I assumed it would be inside cut but then here a lot of posts say outside. Maybe the Canadian technique differs. I will ask before the procedure. Thank you for following up again with me!
Lincoln
Salt Bather

Postby Broncosgirl » 19 Apr 2015, 08:20

Hi,
I am in the U.S. too. I had surgery just under 3 weeks ago and was terrified like you. I actually cancelled it once before going through with it. I can tell you that I am VERY happy I had it done.

For me I had almost no pain from the actual surgery except for the first 48 hours. The pain from the surgery was not bad at all. It felt like a very swollen bruise. In all honesty the biggest issue I had after surgery was nausea from the anesthesia. I was even able to sit on my bum to nurse my daughter the same day.

I had pretty severe pain from my fissure before having the surgery done as it sounds like you do. I thought the pain would instantly be gone but it took about 6 days to go away.

By day 6 my fissure was pain free and I was left with some intense itching for another week. By week 2 I felt no sensations at all down there and have been able to not think about my bum at all :)
Broncosgirl
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Lincoln » 19 Apr 2015, 11:45

:thanx: Dear Broncosgirl :thank you for this encouraging message you have eased my mind. I don't want to cancel because then I know I'll be in the same boat of constant pain. I pray my procedure will be as straightforward as yours and that I can stop being worried about how bad my bum will be on any given day. A couple of people on here said they felt a swollen area too. It's school vacation week I'll have my kiddos help me and rest and heal up. I need to be a big girl lol thank you again for taking the time to write back. I greatly appreciate it.
Lincoln
Salt Bather

Postby msimon » 19 Apr 2015, 13:45

Sounds like you will be in good hands Lincoln. Don't let my story scare you. I have had pelvic floor dysfunction for years and this may be why my healing is so slow. EIther that or it was because my LIS was too conservative, but that was what I wanted at the time. If you trust your CRS you have to just put all your faith in them and the many others that have come and gone on this forum because LIS gave them their lives back.

Best wishes that things go very well for you :)
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64