Anal fissure and nitro ointment

Anal fissure and nitro ointment

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Anal fissure and nitro ointment

Postby Canadabum » 26 Apr 2015, 11:35

Unfortunately that is a pretty common experience - and yes, it did happen to me. My fissure has not been a huge bleeder but from time to time I have had real set backs like you describe. This sort of thing is all part of the gruelling experience.

I would try and calm things down by taking a full on bath (not sits) if this happened to me - on the days of the setback I would try for 2 a day for 20 mins each. Warm to hit water with no soap. Some people use Epsom salts (which is basically more magnesium!) I didn't. If you do, use without scents.

Keep up your right eating and light eating regimen, creams (my Drs told me that 3x a day for cream is ok...so I apply 3x a day in hopes of speeding up recovery), baths, hot water bottle or heating pad when you sit...I also use a wedge cushion at home and work to soften my chairs when I sit.

The spasms may or may not kick in....if they do take some
Ibuprofen if it agrees with you. It will help deal with some psi and also it is an anti-inflammatory. In fact, when things were really bad for me I would wake up and take 2 ibuprofen right away because I knew I'd be visiting the washroom and wanted to limit the pain that would be coming and begin the day reducing any inflammation I could.

Hope you have a decent day...we can all relate to where you are at....its really no fun! As I've said though....you WILL get past this and through this.

I think Winston Churchhill had a quote that is very appropriate for our condition and situation..."if you are going through hell, keep going". Couldn't have said it better myself...soon enough you will be on the other side.

Best,
Canadabum
Canadabum

Topics: 19

Postby Canadabum » 26 Apr 2015, 11:39

Ps...sorry for the typos. Writing on my phone.
Canadabum

Postby svet » 26 Apr 2015, 11:53

Thanks Canadabum.
I am definitely going to be using the ibuprofen today as the spams and burning is in full force.
On my way to buy Mg Citrate and everything else you have suggested.
svet
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Canadabum » 26 Apr 2015, 12:01

Svet - another device that has been useful for me is a detachable shower head that you can grab and snake around to clean yourself properly. Don't be too aggressive cleaning though.

I really hope you find some comfort today...other important thing, take it easy. If you are used to getting 10 things done in a day, reduce it to 5 and give yourself some time to just lie down and get off your feet and your butt.

Wishing you the best.
C.B.
Canadabum

Postby Scientist2516 » 26 Apr 2015, 12:34

Wise words from Canadabum - I hope you are taking it easy and not doing too much, Svet. I found that if I did too much gardening, housework or other physical activity involving bending and lifting, I would invariably hurt for a day or two. So please take care of yourself.
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby svet » 29 Apr 2015, 19:16

I got a call from the CRS office. The CRS has ordered me back to diltiezam for 8-10 weeks. Then I go for a rigid sigmoidoscopy. Has anyone had this done? I hate the word rigid in it.....
I am taking laxaday which is same as miralax every day.
svet
Fibre Addict

Postby Canadabum » 30 Apr 2015, 21:31

Hi Svet -- i had a flexible sigmoidoscopy done...to be honest i do not know why a CRS would opt for a flex vs. rigid.

My suggestion is to get in touch with the CRS office and ask them the question directly. One thing I have learned is that we all need to advocate for ourselves and not take for granted that the good doctors out there are necessarily doing the best thing or the correct thing for us....so get them to explain it and ask them why they did not opt for a flexible sig....perhaps it is as simple as they dont have the equipment?? Just one absurd reason...but you owe it to yourself to get the answer.

Good luck with the continued battle and healing.

Canadabum
Canadabum

Postby shams1000 » 02 May 2015, 12:10

Svet et al., I have been dealing with AF since November 2014 [around 6 months]. I can tell you that I have been going back and forth
between feeling that I am completely over AF and have healed but then perhaps I get overconfident, eat somethings that I shouldn't be eating, and then there is bleeding. This has happened 3-4 times. Re: LIS, I just warn all AF patients out there to be careful with your CRS and be sure to get a second opinion. Some surgeons are too aggressive and want to get in there and fix things. Not sure if the motivation is truly to help or to add to their bottom line. In any case, DILT never worked for me but I switched to NITOBID cream which is a 2% cream and despite some headache, it's taken my pain from a 7-10 down to 1-2. I still experience burning but it is bearable and at least right now I am just sticking with a high fiber diet (I try fiber one cereal in the morning), Flax seed (1-2 spoons a day), lots of fruit and vegetables, good amount of water, but otherwise eat everything. I was on miralax initially, but that almost killed me - it gave me bad diarrhea. I also went on benefiber but I think it bulked up my stool too much. Any ways, this all requires experimentation as others have said. So, stick with a high fiber diet, use Nitro, and hope for the best .. and, some occasional bleeding is inevitable but hopefully with time, the frequency should decrease.
Hang in there
shams1000
Fibre Addict

Postby svet » 02 May 2015, 14:27

Thanks shams100
I have a very good surgeon I think since I wanted this fixed with a surgery right away and he said no because I have to give it all I have with creams and diet. So from that aspect I trust that he is not a rush into it kind of doc. I have been taking laxaday every day and using diltiezam three times a day. i have had diltiezam before but the surgeon has told me because it was prepared in a Vaseline solution galaxal base it doesn't work well. I must tell you I have started nothing a difference. I don't know if it's the cream or the laxaday. My stool has also become soft. Today even some diarrhea. I am gonna see if that continues and I will switch to using laxaday every other day. But much less painful. I went from a 10 down to a 3 maybe. The ten was so bad that I can honestly say I will take the 3 forever if that's the best it can be. My diet has ako been so good. I have stopped benefibre. More smoothies and soft foods. I wonder if my protein diet that I started in February has dried out my stoola and caused the constipation to begin with. From now on my protein is only fish and legumes and maybe chicken. Here's to hoping things stay this way! Another thing I am doing is hot sitz baths following by cold shower directly on the anal area. I've read that the shock of warm and cold increases blood flow more versus just warm.
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I look at my email often to see if someone's suggested something.
svet
Fibre Addict

Postby Scientist2516 » 02 May 2015, 22:08

Hi Svet, it sounds as though you are making some really good progress. I've never heard that the vaseline base makes dilt. ineffective, that is interesting!
You don't really want diarrhoea, so your plan to back off on the laxaday is probably wise.
So glad your BMs are less painful, that is great news.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16