Can Daily Bleeding from fissure cause Anemia

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Can Daily Bleeding from fissure cause Anemia

Postby troublingfissure » 21 May 2015, 01:24

All,

I had a fissure about a couple of months back, which seemed to heal by itself. Now, for the last 1 week due a hard BM, I had a re-tear.

I saw a surgeon and he said the only option left is Surgery. I cannot take a surgery immediately as I am into change of jobs and I won't be able to get many time offs from work. I also have the fear of loss of control after surgery.

There is not much of pain during every BM but there is bleeding. There are drops of blood on the toilet bowl when mixed with the water makes it look like I have lost a bottle of blood.

I am taking a stool softener based on Sterculia. This seemed to work the previous time but does not seem to work this time.

I have not yet started Miralax. What is the ideal dosage of Miralax to make the stool pasty ?

My question is does bleeding daily bleeding lead to blood loss and anemia ? I have started taking Iron supplements already. How long does it take before I lose siginificant amount of blood leading to anemia ?

Is there anything at all I can do to stop this bleeding. I am on the verge of giving up on life. Please help.
troublingfissure

Topics: 2

Re: Can Daily Bleeding from fissure cause Anemia

Postby Scientist2516 » 21 May 2015, 15:53

Hi Troublingfissure,
How much blood do you think you are losing - realistically? When it's mixed with water in the toilet, it's pretty hard to tell what the volume of actual blood is.
I would doubt that the amount of blood you lose from a fissure could cause anaemia. If you are taking iron supplements I would not worry about it. If you feel fatigue, weakness, paleness (the inside of the eyelid is a good place to look) you can get checked for anaemia, but it seems unlikely to me.

If you are having little pain, that is really great news. Blood loss on its own is a minor symptom. My personal opinion is that the operation is a last resort to deal with pain. The risks of incontinence and infection may be small, but they are there, and some people find it hard to heal from the operation.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby troublingfissure » 21 May 2015, 23:26

Scientist2516 wrote:Hi Troublingfissure,
How much blood do you think you are losing - realistically? When it's mixed with water in the toilet, it's pretty hard to tell what the volume of actual blood is.
I would doubt that the amount of blood you lose from a fissure could cause anaemia. If you are taking iron supplements I would not worry about it. If you feel fatigue, weakness, paleness (the inside of the eyelid is a good place to look) you can get checked for anaemia, but it seems unlikely to me.

If you are having little pain, that is really great news. Blood loss on its own is a minor symptom. My personal opinion is that the operation is a last resort to deal with pain. The risks of incontinence and infection may be small, but they are there, and some people find it hard to heal from the operation.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure on the exact volume. I would say about 8-10 drops realistically. When mixed with water, it looks more.

At this point I am not anemic, but I fear it may happen if this continues.

Any help on the Miralax dosage please. Do I need to mix it with bulking agents like Metamucil or just need to take it as is ?
troublingfissure

Topics: 2

Postby Scientist2516 » 22 May 2015, 10:02

I've never taken miralax, so I don't know. Have you tried searching the forum for miralax? The search box is on the right near the top of the page.
From what I've gathered it's partly trial and error, because different people need different amounts. Try what it says on the packet, and take it from there.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby phtgrphr » 23 May 2015, 07:35

Truly losing just 8-10 drops of blood daily won't make you appreciably anemic (assuming you eat a generally balanced diet). More than that, it could be possible if it happens a long time.

More concerning to me would be the iron supplements. They're notorious for making people constipated, which of course is a no-no when you have AF.
phtgrphr

Topics: 1

Postby shams1000 » 28 May 2015, 23:21

Troubling fissure - I am in the same boat as you. I thought I was healed but it looks like I had a retear and lose blood if not every day, once every few days. But, little pain. I do apply NITRO BID 2% cream once a day after BM (my CRS told me to apply it for another 3 months)

Re: Miralax - I had a terrible experience. It caused diarrhea. I will never take that again. Just a high fiber diet with beans, fruit, fiber cereal is what I would suggest

--------------

AF - Nov. 2014
Diltiazem - not effective
NITRO BID - highly effective---> healed
May 2015 - retear, occasional bleeding, no pain
shams1000
Fibre Addict