Cautious optimism and KEFIR...and miconazole

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cautious optimism and KEFIR...and miconazole

Postby ihatethisclub » 12 Jun 2015, 13:12

Just an update about me. I had what I thought to be an allergic reaction to nitro. Then, I thought it was yeast. The itching and inflammation were unbearable. I completed a round of Diflucan with no improvement in my symptoms. It worsened for a few days, then I headed to my OBGYN so she could examine me. She visually diagnosed a yeast rash and started me on a second round of Diflucan and a prescription yeast cream. She also took some swabs to culture.

Here is my most recent timeline:

Monday: Started 200 mg diflucan and yeast cream AND drank some kefir that my husband had cultured. Feeling better. Strangely, fissures don't bother me.

Tuesday: 100 mg diflucan and yeast cream AND drank some kefir. Feeling even better. I think my fissures are healing!!!

Wednesday: 100 mg diflucan and yeast cream and FORGOT the kefir. Pain and itching worsen throughout afternoon and evening. Can barely sleep.

Thursday: 100 mg diflucan and yeast cream. So itchy and fissure pain flares up after bm. OB calls to say ALL swabs were negative (no strep B, no bacterial vaginosis, not even any yeast). Finally remember to drink a *big glass* of kefir.

Homemade milk kefir is the only thing I've done or not done that's had an effect on my fissures and rash. I know that gut bacteria can play a role in fissures for some people. My gut flora doesn't reach the level of dysfunction of say Crohns or Colitis, but I know it's not in the greatest shape due to a youth full of antibiotics and an adulthood full of Diet Coke (read up on how aspartame and Splenda decimate your good gut flora). I have been reluctant to take probiotic pills while dealing with my fissures because they tend to firm up my stools, but kefir has a greater number and diversity of bacteria and it doesn't effect the stool consistency.

I'll keep you posted.
Last edited by ihatethisclub on 23 Jun 2015, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
ihatethisclub
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Cautious optimism and KEFIR

Postby msimon » 12 Jun 2015, 14:30

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I was drinking kefir when I had my infection. Maybe I should go back to it again so I can finish healing this dreaded thing! Keep us posted. I hope you found the cure for yourself.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Tushi » 17 Jun 2015, 11:38

How about plain yogurt ?
Tushi
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby ihatethisclub » 23 Jun 2015, 18:36

So, it looks like the kefir wasn't as instrumental--though I still think it beneficial--as the miconazole cream (for yeast). Miraculously, the fissure pain, bleeding and sphincter-spasming went away after using it for a week. I cancelled all of my appointments (had three separate ones set up with 3 diff CRS), and felt that I was on the road to full healing. It was the most optimistic I'd felt in months.

Then I foolishly cut back on the application of the yeast cream. Instead of using it basically all day, I started applying it in the morning and night only. Well, two days later, all the pain came rushing back with a vengeance. It's taken 3 days to feel like I'm regaining some of my lost ground. No more spasms or painful bms. Just some post bm stinging and throbbing, but nothing like before. The worst is probably the feeling of being slathered in cream. I HATE the creepy crawly bubbly sensation of it. I'm trying to breathe deeply and relax about this.

I've turned my concern to why I have such a stubborn yeast problem, if that is indeed the issue. Two rounds of Diflucan didn't kill it and apparently, the cream is only keeping it at bay. I'll gladly use it for the rest of my life, though, if it means no more fissures. I did some reading about chronic yeast and I have some signs of hypothyroid, so I'm going in for blood testing (also, checking hormone and nutrient levels and diabetes, just to cover my bases).
ihatethisclub
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6