Dr. Brett Hubbard - PORTLAND, OREGON

A place to post your experiences with your doctor/surgeon for others searching for a great doctor!

Return to Tell us about your doctor

Re: Best doctor in the USA

Postby jake » 21 May 2014, 17:08

SSK,
I was treated by Dr. Cranford at the Sandy Clinic. If you want to know about the procedure he did on me, you can Google the "Cranford Technique." It is a non-surgical technique that helps stop the cycle of re-injuring fissures. He also gave me a series of dilation treatments, in which I assume he was using using some special tool to gradually strecth out my inner anal sphincter. Besides the fissures, I think a lot of my pain was caused by the stenosis (tightening of the sphincter.) Since you have already had surgery, and everyone is different, I can't say how you would be treated. I do know that Dr. Cranford treats some patients who have already had surgery, depending on his judgment. He is also very knowledgeable and takes great care to make his patients comfortable. Hopefully he could at least tell you what you should do; it can't hurt to check it out. You could look at the Sandy Clinic website, of course. I would recommend calling the office. When I called them from Montana, I was expecting to talk to a nurse or receptionist, but Dr. Cranford actually answered the phone and was happy to talk to me. I don't know the number, but it's probably on the Sandy Clinic website.
Wish I could help you more,
Jake
jake

Topics: 1

Re: Dr. Brett Hubbard - PORTLAND, OREGON

Postby Log » 24 Jun 2014, 09:46

Recently booked a flight and appointment to see dr. Hubbard at the Oregon hemorrhoid clinic after being at my wits end and reading this forum. This was the best thing I could have done. It has made my life so normal again! Before dr. Hubbard even did the actual exam I explained to him that at times my fissure would seem to be healing, but I would always have horrible setbacks. BMs were extremely painful and the hours of pain afterward were horrible. He said that papilla in the rectum can become inflamed and prevent fissures from fully healing. He did the exam and saw the fissure running into two inflamed papilla. He removed them both, almost pain free. He said the fissure looked like it was healing so he didn't do anything to the fissure. I went back the same day for keesey treatment on two internal hems and went back the next day for keesey treatment on two other internal hems. I flew home the third day. The entire process was nearly pain free. The only uncomfortable part is the aniscope (sp?) being in. It has been a week and a half and I feel amazing. I am so grateful for dr. Hubbard and the people on this post. Grateful ed, thank you for posting about them. I had spent so much money seeing other CRS and MDs. This was soooooo worth every penny. The hotel I stayed at had a shuttle service to pick me up from the airport and they also shuttled me to the clinic since it was only two miles from the hotel, so I didn't even have to pay for a cab. There are also several restaurants within walking distance of the days in that I stayed At. I can't say enough how going there has helped me. I still feel like there might be one more internal hem or papilla that might need treating, but they don't bother me that much.
Log
Fibre Addict

Postby boulderguy » 23 Jul 2014, 19:19

My chiropractor told me about the Sandy Blvd. Clinic, how he'd heard that they were getting good results. I called and spoke with Dr. Cranford and am flying out there next weekend. I am cautiously hopeful that this might put an end to a year-long nightmare that started with bad hemorrhoids that required surgery on 7/30/2013. When the surgeon told me that he'd found an anal fissure as well it was something I'd never heard of before. He told me that it would go away in a few weeks with some diet corrections.

Right.

I've tried just about everything mentioned on this blog and still haven't put it behind me. If the treatment in Portland doesn't work I'm down to Botox injections or LIS.

Fingers crossed.
boulderguy
Fibre Addict

Postby Log » 23 Jul 2014, 22:21

Boulder guy, I hope it goes well. I spoke with Dr Cranford to but ended up seeing Hubbard at the hem clinic. They used to work together. Saved me! Please post how it goes!
Log
Fibre Addict

Postby unionville » 03 Mar 2015, 05:50

jake wrote:I also went to the Sandy Clinic a year ago, on recommendation from a friend. I am from Montana, and I had fissures for five years not knowing what they were, except that they totally wrecked my life. Toward the end, I somewhat healed the fissures myself with diltiazem cream and a SUPER-soft vegetarian diet, but Dr. Cranford helped me with some other problems I had. He got rid of my internal hemorrhoids completely painlessly, and also gave me virtually painless treatment for anal stenosis. Thank God I went there, and saw someone who actually knew what to do. I clicked on your "best doctor in the USA" thread because I knew you must be talking about the Sandy clinic. My fissures are now a thing of the past, though I still am still careful about what I eat, etc. -Jake
P.S. My favorite part about the Sandy Clinic is the brick wall with the huge round window in it.

Jake, Was the treatment you received for the stenosis a permanent fix or did it only last temporarily?

Thanks
unionville

Re: Dr. Cranford - PORTLAND, OREGON

Postby boulderguy » 03 Mar 2015, 13:04

Dr. Cranford is a really good guy. Unfortunately, since I'm in Colorado I couldn't go back for follow-up. He zapped some hemorrhoids and used dilatation for anal stenosis that he described as 3+ on a scale of four. However, the end result was little improvement. I'm a serous cyclist and when the pain receded I started riding again. After a couple weeks it was back to the same old same old.

Back at home I got a referral to a CRS and eventually got LIS with Botox treatment. After things started to heal I noticed a pain near the incision and some spasming. Eventually got back on my back and lasted about 3 weeks this time. The pattern has been that once I feel able to ramp up the intensity the pain kicks in again, and this time was no different.

Totally frustrated -- this has been gong on for nearly 2 years now -- I spoke with him about seeing a gastroenterologist and he referred me to a good one. My thinking was that cycling aggravates it but isn't the cause. Dr. Gatov, the GI doc, put on diltiazem for six weeks, sitz baths, probiotics daily, additional fibre. I had been trying to wean myself off Miralax, but whenever I did I started getting constipation/hard stools, which just starts the cycle all over again. He also wanted a colonoscopy, which I just returned from.

Colonoscopy showed a couple polyps, which he removed, but nothing else that looked that bad. He wants to take an MRI and go from there with a course of treatment to alleviate chronic constipation and straining. He feels it is far from hopeless, so that's where I'm at as of today.
boulderguy
Fibre Addict

Postby Jessiek » 23 Jun 2015, 20:37

Hi there, I am contemplating going to the Sandy Clinic to see Dr. Cranford this summer to heal my anal fissures and anal stenosis...I would be travelling pretty far to get there but I am so desperate for help and relief. I am wondering if anyone has any advice or details to share with me? Was your experience positive? Did it help? Both anal fissures and stenosis? I saw someone post something about a hotel they stayed at that was part of a package? I talked to Dr Cranford and I have some questions about follow up but haven't heard back yet. Just wondering if there are any side effects or what people's experiences have been. So far what I read is good! Thank you, I am so grateful for this possibility.
Jessiek
Fibre Addict