Magnesium citrate worked for me

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Magnesium citrate worked for me

Postby Magnesium Lover » 25 Jun 2015, 11:42

Hello everyone
This website has been so helpful to me lately and good to know that I'm not alone. I've suffered with fissures on and off for about the last 10 years (I blame childbirth!) I can go for months, even a year without any problems, then other times just a slight discomfort and spot of blood that will heal itself with a bit of Sudocrem. Other times at its worst I begin with bright red blood in the loo with a BM, looking like a toilet massacre! followed by the excruciating burning feelings and the spasms and dragging, pulsating feelings that are intolerable. In the past I've got through the worst spells with Scheriproct or Rectogesic, but my recent problem started early March and is only just healing now (thankfully!) Scheriproct helped in that it stopped the bleeding, but the feeling of passing broken glass each time I had a BM and the burning/spasms afterwards got worse. I tried Coconut oil, bought a Sitz type bath, bought a 'doughnut' cushion, tried changing my diet, but didn't feel much relief. The only relief I did get was to have a bath or use a warm water sitz bath, but that's not always convenient at the time! I also was taking ibuprofen or co-codamol.
My doctor then prescribed Anoheal (Diltiazem hydrochloride), which after a week hadn't made any difference and the burning and spasms were no better. Then I read on here about Magnesium helping relax muscles and the spasms. I got a bottle of Magnesium Citrate supplement tablets and started taking them. I don't think that it was coincidence that within a day of starting taking them, the spasms and burning eased. After a week I had no spasms and two weeks later I have no spasms, no burning and can have a BM without dreading it or crying!
I am still using the Anoheal, which no doubt will help too, but I'm sure it's the Magnesium that's made the difference and would recommend trying it.
I have an appointment next week with the colorectol clinic, which I have kept to get checked out and ensure that there aren't any underlying problems for my ongoing problem.
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Magnesium citrate worked for me

Postby hurtinend » 25 Jun 2015, 19:34

How much magnesium citrate do you take per day?
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Magnesium Lover » 26 Jun 2015, 03:10

I've been taking two tablets daily, as recommended on the bottle, which say provide 400mg.
See attached photos.

I hope this helps!
Attachments
IMG_3788.JPG
IMG_3787.JPG
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Postby missy moo » 04 Jan 2019, 18:24

Magnesium lover how are you doing all these years later? I've just purchased some magnesium citrate.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby Magnesium Lover » 05 Jan 2019, 06:35

Hi Missy Moo
Yes, I still take Magnesium Citrate every day and it is still working for me personally. I take two Solgar tablets daily (see bottle above - I order from Amazon). If I forget to take the supplement for a few days, I start to feel the beginnings of 'twinges', so I know that for me it is definitely worth taking all the time. I hope it works for you too.
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Postby Fissuretraveler » 05 Jan 2019, 21:46

Just curious- for those of you who take the magnesium citrate is this the only combination of magnesium you have taken? I currently take Milk of Magnesia (magnesium Hydroxide) wondering if I would notice a big difference if I switched to the citrate. MOM works but sometimes my stomach gets really gurglely and stays like that all day. It’s a constant battle of trying to find the right amount to take to keep things moving the “right way”. Along with a very good diet. Just curious.
Fissuretraveler
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Magnesium Lover » 06 Jan 2019, 11:31

I've only taken the Magnesium Citrate, as initially I read that it was the most effective combination for this problem. It works well for me personally and it doesn't cause me stomach upsets. Well worth a try.
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Postby JaimeDeschain » 01 Mar 2022, 12:36

Fissuretraveler wrote:Just curious- for those of you who take the magnesium citrate is this the only combination of magnesium you have taken? I currently take Milk of Magnesia (magnesium Hydroxide) wondering if I would notice a big difference if I switched to the citrate. MOM works but sometimes my stomach gets really gurglely and stays like that all day. It’s a constant battle of trying to find the right amount to take to keep things moving the “right way”. Along with a very good diet. Just curious.

Did you ever manage to stop the stomach cramps?
JaimeDeschain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 8