Applying rectogesic - it's difficult and painful!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Applying rectogesic - it's difficult and painful!

Postby JayBee » 15 Jan 2012, 07:26

The magnesium tablet you take, is that similar to the magnesium hydroxide mixture I have been prescribed? Mine tastes pretty foul and I have to take 3 5ml spoonfuls twice daily. Did you get the Movicol prescribed? I have been prescribed senna tablets so not sure if they are designed to do the same.
JayBee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Davo » 15 Jan 2012, 09:22

I just take 250mg Magnesium tablets that Holland & Barratt sell and they seem to do the trick. I have never heard of the tablets which you ave been prescribed.
Movicol works by forcing water into the bowel, taking a few sachets gives a laxative effect whereas one a day acts as a very effective stool softener. My CRS recommends Movicol to everybody (I think it's called Miralax overseas)
Anyway Movicol is available over the counter at Boots (mainly the larger branches) - however you won't see it on the shelves or behind the counter, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby JayBee » 15 Jan 2012, 09:33

Sorry if I misled you. The magnesium I take is a milky liquid. I initially called it milk of magnesia in another post but not sure if that is correct. It is labelled magnesium hydroxide.
JayBee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Davo » 15 Jan 2012, 15:13

I don't take any liquid, just one magnesium tablet with evening meal
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Yolzy » 07 Jul 2015, 08:00

Youre advice is the only one that makes sense and is true so far..good on you :)

Davo wrote:Hello Sika,
I am currently using the 0.4% rectogesic (GTN) and have been for about 4 weeks now. I like you was nervous at first as I head read all the horror stories of severe headaches.
When I first started using it I started on a half dose and built my way up to the full 2.5cm as that way I could gauge how bad the headaches would be. Luckily I only suffered from a mild throbbing headache - after three days of use I no longer got the headaches.
So this is how I use it:
1. When I first wake up I rub Vaseline around the entrance to help lubricate things for my toilet visit
2. After the toilet visit I wipe with cotton wool dipped in warm water
3. I then jump in the bath for 20 minutes
4. When I am about to apply the GTN I place a mirror on the floor and squat above it as that way I can see exactly where I need to apply the ointment
5. I cover my smallest finger in cling film and put the whole dose on the end of my finger
6. I then slowly push the finger in up to my knuckle - as the GTN is on the end of my finger it acts as a lubricant when the finger is going in
7. I then lay down for 10 minutes in case of headaches or dizziness
I have read people say to just apply a small amount externally if it hurts too much however it does need to be applied internally to work correctly. Another way would be to place a small amount at a time on a cotton bud (Q-tip) and apply it internally that way.
Hope that is of some use
Davo
Yolzy