Post LIS surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Post LIS surgery

Postby Eagles33 » 18 Jul 2015, 15:37

I had my surgery this last Thursday. It is now Saturday. My doctor made it seem like I would feel relieve from the fissure right away, however I am in 3 more times pain than I was before surgery. When does the pain go away? I've been taking my pain medication, I've been taking miralax, as well as something to make my stools bulky. I have not had a BM yet! I've felt like I needed to, but when I sat down, all I did was pass gas. Is the first couple BMs painful? At the moment, I feel like if I have a BM, I'll pass out from the pain!
Eagles33
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Post LIS surgery

Postby msimon » 19 Jul 2015, 22:43

It can take a good 2 weeks before relief but most say the first week is the worst. Doctor's have a reputation for giving unrealistic expectations. Were you given pain meds?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Eagles33 » 20 Jul 2015, 04:33

I was given Percocets. I've been taking them around the clock to deal with the pain! Each day seems to get a little bit easier, but having a BM is extremely painful and feels like it sets me back in terms of recovery.
Eagles33
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 20 Jul 2015, 13:06

Percocets are very constipating. Was your BM hard? Has the miralax helped? Yes, BMs will be painful for a while, but that will get better, slowly. If you can, you may want to switch to ibuprofen if the other meds block you up. That is all I had for pain as my CRS does not prescribe narcotics for butt surgery. Glad to hear each day is getting a little better.
msimon

Postby Eagles33 » 20 Jul 2015, 13:51

I have had 3 BMs, and they were all hard despite the fact that I have been taking a full cap of miralax everyday. I am almost out of my prescription, so I will switch to ibuprofen. Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping for a fast recovery so I can enjoy my vacation this Saturday!
Eagles33
Fibre Addict

Postby hurtinend » 20 Jul 2015, 20:47

Those painkillers are heroin derivatives, heroin addicts are known for not pooping for weeks. Opiods put the bowel to sleep, only use if you have extreme pain.

Ice, heat, even lidocaine cream can take the edge off so you can cope.

All the best to you and down some super fruit smoothies for smoother bm's.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Eagles33 » 21 Jul 2015, 19:01

Thank you all for the advice. I feel a lot better than I did a few days ago. One more question, how long after surgery should I expect to bleed when having a BM before I should start to be concerned?
Eagles33
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 21 Jul 2015, 19:29

Glad you are feeling better. The bleeding thing is very individual. My CRS seemed to think that most of his patients have healed by 2 weeks post-LIS so I suppose according to him that would mean you should no longer bleed after 2 weeks. But healing is an individual process and there are a lot of factors to consider in determining an answer to that. I think the major factors would be how large your fissure was to begin with, how much internal sphincter was cut and whether you are able to keep your BMs completely soft. Do you have much blood? I never bled at all after my LIS but bled a lot after my fistulotomy. I had a stitch at my incision site which may have helped this. But I took a long time to heal.
msimon

Postby Eagles33 » 21 Jul 2015, 21:06

My doctor didn't do much to explain to me how large my fissure was, or how much of the sphincter he cut. He kinda just came in the recovery room after the surgery to see how I was doing and then he was out the door. I wouldn't consider it an overly excessive amount of bleeding, but the amount of blood hasn't been less and less each day. It's relatively the same amount, but I guess it's all part of the healing process!
Eagles33
Fibre Addict