Two Miralax Questions

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Two Miralax Questions

Postby k202 » 31 Jul 2015, 21:43

I've been taking Miralax for a couple of weeks now and it's a game changer. BM's are some of the easiest I have had in months/years and I feel 100 times better, no more spasms and no more severe pain, and just some minor discomfort and minor itching/irritation.

I take Miralax every day at 4:45 p.m. and like clockwork, my daily BM is somewhere between 6:45 to 8:00 p.m.

A couple of questions: since I take Miralax in late afternoon and have BM in the evening, what would happen if I had to have a BM before I take my daily dose of Miralax (say a 2:00 p.m. BM), would stools be difficult to pass? I remember it took a full 3-days for Miralax to kick in, so essentially, will it take 3 days to kick out? Would it still have an impact on my stool if my BM would happen to occur before my daily dose? I hope I never encounter this situation, but this is one thing that I worry about being a set back.

Also, does Miralax soften anything you eat (within reason)? I'm giving my strict diet one more month and starting on September 1st, I want to add a few more things into my diet, maybe a slice of pizza here and there, a burger here and there, maybe even some waffles with butter once in a while. What have been people's experience with eating "not so friendly" foods with taking Miralax?
k202
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Two Miralax Questions

Postby Daisy Mac » 31 Jul 2015, 23:06

I usually have one BM per day on Miralax but when I have two I don't notice any difference in the firmness. As for food, so far I've found that every time I decide to add something naughty to my diet I suffer for it within a couple of days. And that was always when I had been pain-free for at least a couple of weeks. So I'm going to wait until I've been pain-free for a few months before adding different foods back in.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby k202 » 01 Aug 2015, 22:04

Thanks Daisy. That really helps calm my nerves. It seems that things should be fine if I had a day where I had to go before I take my daily Miralax. I've been stressing out so much about this every day at work.

That's kind of disappointing to hear that introducing new foods for you has been a setback. I'm going to wait until September 1st and stick to my diet throughout August. I am 12-13 pounds under my normal weight right now and I can't wait to put the extra pounds back on. I'm really craving a slice of pizza. I guess I will have a half slice when I become daring and move from there.

Unfortunately, it seems like we all have to continue to behave even when on Miralax :sadd: :sadd:
k202
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Daisy Mac » 01 Aug 2015, 22:21

That's just me, though. I have read of some people who eat whatever they want while taking Miralax and they're fine - I'm just not one of them, and I guess you can't know unless you try it.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby Sufferingbadly » 03 Aug 2015, 01:16

I take miralax every night and so every morning I have a BM when I wake up. I usually have 2 BM a day. But like the other day, I had one basically after every meal. I still have a lot of anxiety when I go to the bathroom so I think I am not emptying myself fully. Anyway... The miralax has been a lifesaver for me also! Soft stools, so easy to pass! I got overly confident and I started lessening my nightly doses to about a half a dose, then I had a slightly harder stool and oh man! I re-tore and totally regretted the decision of taking such a small dose. Since then I take my normal doses. I've talked to the doctors about taking miralax long term to prevent a retear of my fissure and I've been assured that it's fine. I also suffer from hemorrhoids so I do continue to choose my diet wisely. No red meats, only turkey and chicken. I basically will eat whatever I want in moderation and just to make sure to drink plenty of water and eat fruit and veggies every day. Because of my retear, I am not going to skip any doses. I've basically stocked up on it. Go ahead and try eating pizza. Just be sure to take your miralax :P
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5