Ditch those flushable wipes !!!!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Ditch those flushable wipes !!!!

Postby k202 » 14 Aug 2015, 21:53

During my healing process, I felt that the fissure had healed but was wondering why my bottom was still looking like a swollen and red warzone and the itching continued. Well, after some trial and error and a google search, I suspected the flushable wipes I was using could be a culprit. The flushable wipes that two doctors suggested I use to help things keep cleaner and to help wipe less. After switching to good old toilet paper dabbed in water, my rear is back in gear and things are basically cleared up down there.

I believe that this was contributing to the whole misery during the whole fissure stage.

If you're using flushable wipes, you could be allergic to them and it could be giving you a severe contact allergy. This could be hindering your healing process.

Just a heads up to anyone out there. :o
k202
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Ditch those flushable wipes !!!!

Postby Sufferingbadly » 15 Aug 2015, 00:31

Funny you post this. My sister called me the other day Asking me if I use the wipes for my bum because she used them for her other area and got a horrible rash/yeast infection. (So she thought that was maybe how I got my fissures).. She also googled it and found it was a common problem. I use baby wipes sometimes but they are alcohol free, majority of the time I also use toilet paper drenched in water. Glad to hear your doing better from a bad doctor recommendation :/ .
Sufferingbadly
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby msimon » 15 Aug 2015, 02:50

Thanks for sharing. Yes there can be some not-so-good ingredients in these things. I have often rinsed mine out before using them. I believe I am sensitive to glycerine down there and it is commonly added to baby wipes, among other things...
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby Cupcake » 16 Aug 2015, 20:00

Thank you for this. It's terrible because the hemorrhoid wipes and the witch hazel mix I have been using are the only things that make the burning feel better, and they both contain alcohol!! How could that promote healing?? I am taking all of your advice and stop with the wipes. Going to try to find some pure with hazel extract instead and see how that works. I didn't realize that most of the WH on the shelves is mixed with alcohol. :-(
Cupcake
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby k202 » 17 Aug 2015, 00:28

Sufferingbadly: Yes, seems like this is all too common of a problem and the industry have been upping the level of these chemicals over the past several years. There are probably a lot of people who are suffering from this and don't make the connection.

Sufferingbadly , Cupcake: It's not necessarily alcohol, but rather a chemical called methylisothiazolinone (MI) that they put in these wipes. It causes allergic reactions to a small, but significant proportion of the population. They have upped the dosage of MI in these wipes over the past several years. There are probably tons of other chemicals they put in these things as well.
k202
Fibre Addict

Postby k202 » 17 Aug 2015, 00:29

msimon wrote:Thanks for sharing. Yes there can be some not-so-good ingredients in these things. I have often rinsed mine out before using them. I believe I am sensitive to glycerine down there and it is commonly added to baby wipes, among other things...

Who knows what other kinds of chemicals they put in these things. They seem to stay wet inside of the container without drying out. I'm not sure I want to know the chemical composition of these wipes. Usually the chemical in question is methylisothiazolinone (MI
).
k202
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 17 Aug 2015, 18:15

I was told that baby wipes were not at all good for babies when mine were first born (now 20 and 24), so I only used tissues dipped in water to clean their bums. When I first developed my own sensitivities down there (hemmies and fissure), I immediately did the same. Water and toilet tissue is very easy on the bum!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby hurtinend » 17 Aug 2015, 18:54

Just buy makeup removal pads, then get natural witch hazel with aloe at the health food store
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Daisy Mac » 18 Aug 2015, 22:53

I have sensitive skin, to fragrances and chemicals and things, but I've been using these wipes without any issues at all. In fact I've noticed a huge improvement since I started using them, and wiping inside just a little to make sure things are completely clean. I found wet TP to be too messy and falls apart.
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NVLP ... ge_o01_s01
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12