When to stop stool softener...

Possibly healed, scared to stop

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

When to stop stool softener...

Postby Daisy Mac » 25 Aug 2015, 10:31

I've been without pain, discomfort or irritation for a few weeks now. My little girl had a birthday party and I ate steak, chocolate cake and some other things without a relapse. I feel like I might be healed, but I'm scared to stop the stool softener. Is this something that I should continue with for a while longer, in your opinion, or slowly wean myself off of?
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: When to stop stool softener...

Postby felix » 25 Aug 2015, 12:30

What kind do you take? I am in a similar boat to you and sti take magnesium, psyllium and 1tablespoon of flaxseed oil but nothing stronger...could you try those and at least they are a bit more natural and you can stay on them last term...
felix
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby jay1975 » 25 Aug 2015, 13:05

Hey Daisy M,

Wow, AF's are a serious condition and I think you're playing with fire on this one. Please please please do not do anything that would compromise the progress you've made thus far. Not only do i think you should continue with the stool softeners, I also think you should revert back to the diet you were on that helped you recover, and you should stay on it for at least a couple months.

I know I may seem overly dramatic, but my experience with this condition was so incredibly painful that I wouldn't change a thing until I was absolute 100% confident that I was TOTALLY cured. Not only that, I would NEVER go back to what I was doing that got me into this situation. I'm just now starting to see consistent improvement, and most of the things I've done to get this improvement I intend to keep for the remainder of my life.

Regarding your concern with stool softeners, the medical concern with stool softeners typically has to do with people (particularly anorexic teenage girls) who have eating disorders and use stool softeners as a way of "purging". I'm guessing that no one in this forum has an eating disorder. You way want to consult your doctor regarding long term use of stool softeners. I did talk to my doctor and he had no problem with me taking SS's indefinitely. I take 300mg Docusate Sodium every evening.
jay1975
Salt Bather

Postby hurtinend » 25 Aug 2015, 14:27

I agree 100% with jay1975

Once we get this condition, something unexplained can be changed in us, we may always be prone to the evil

Stick with the healing protocol, it's healthy for us anyways, do not waver too much.
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby Daisy Mac » 25 Aug 2015, 17:40

Well, what a bunch of buzz-kills! lol Just kidding. You might be right - sometimes you just need someone to knock some sense back into you. I should add that I've only eaten tiny portions of bad foods and I've stuck to my good diet for the most part. It was just so nice to eat some of the foods I'd forsaken for the past seven months. As for going back to what caused the situation, my diet was pretty decent before, I'm not a junk food person, so my fissure was caused either by childbirth or by the terrible hemorrhoids I got following childbirth. I guess maybe I'll give it another couple of months because I would sure regret it if I went overboard and ended up back at square one. Thanks people! Also, to answer Felix, I take Restoralax once a day.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather