how did they cure anal fissures 100 years ago ?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

how did they cure anal fissures 100 years ago ?

Postby juniper » 30 Sep 2011, 10:19

How did they treat anal fissures before LIS and all the meds we have today ?
I am asking coz I am very sensitive to meds and I cannot take any, not even pain killers.
In Italy sometimes an anal dilatator is suggested to be used for 2 and more months and it seems to work ( google "dilatan" )
juniper
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: how did they cure anal fissures 100 years ago ?

Postby TonyStone » 30 Sep 2011, 20:17

I think 100 years ago the avg persons diet was such that it really didn't promote AF. Going back further in cultures where the squat to poop and even today in those same areas, hemmies, AF and other disease of that area are virtually none existent. Just my guesses from reading. I keep asking my wife if we can get a squat toilet. She will not say yes.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby dwarfs8 » 30 Sep 2011, 23:13

haha, agree with tonystone... we r living in a fast food world now, and not to mentioned even if we think we are eating healthy enuff, we aren't as even the plants are growing out of nutrients depleted soil...
tony, do u know u can actually stimulate a squat toilet urself? just put 2 stools for each of ur legs beside the toilet bowl and then lean forward when u have BM. That's what i read, but i didn't try it yet.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby TonyStone » 01 Oct 2011, 08:28

I have heard of that, but have read it doesn't do the exact same thing but I havent ruled it out. At 41 my knees would probably not be able to squat. It just one of those things that make sense but our culture doesn't allow.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby alpinestrawberry » 02 Oct 2011, 19:47

I will bet that people had these things 100 years ago. Especially women, after childbirth (which is how I got mine). Childbirth would have been even rougher back then and I bet plenty of women suffered huge tears with no doctor down there to cut an episiotomy or guide the pushing. My own great-grandmother had 11 children, and according to my mom, had basically no skin left between vagina and anus (don't know how my mom would know that, but she's full of fun-facts that can't be substantiated). But anyway I'll betcha great grandma had some rectal troubles, poor lady, who wouldn't after 11 kids? 3 kids was all I could take before I tore.
The truth is I think 100 years ago people mainly just suffered along through life with no one to really help them. Diet would definitely play a part so maybe not as many people had fissures as do now, but I can virtually guarantee you there were people who suffered miserably.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby lavender » 24 Aug 2015, 22:54

I can tell you that most Eastern countries' population don't have anal fissures. 100 Years ago, there was no sitting toilet and there was no toilet paper. When you squat, you don't strain and to clean yourself you would use warm water, instead of harsh paper. The majority of Eastern countries: China, Vietnam, India etc... don't use a sitting toilet nor toilet paper. Not necessarily because they can't afford them, but because they are unnecessary. I've dealt with anal fissures for a year, and ever since I started cleaning myself with warm water, my fissures never came back. There are so many pros on doing so, you save toilet paper, you get a really good clean, and no more anal fissures. It's a serious lifestyle change and I love it.
lavender

Topics: 1

Postby Daisy Mac » 25 Aug 2015, 10:22

I got a Squatty Potty and it's great and doesn't take up much room because it fits around the toilet.
Daisy Mac
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby hayleyw » 25 Aug 2015, 14:52

I was thinking about this the other day. Although people are right in saying that anal fissures probaby didn't occur like they do now they must still have affected some people and I guess the only answer is that they suffered with it like so many other untreated ailments back then. People seem to be obsessed with hard poops tearing us but the majority of anal fissure suffers (according to my crs) teared during the strain of child birth. Dealing with one back then must have been horrible. My fissure got infected and without surgery to drain it and antibiotics I would have probably died. It's a scary thought. We think we have it bad :p
hayleyw
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby hurtinend » 25 Aug 2015, 15:26

I'm male, no childbirth here, don't know what caused it, cannot relate it to any initial event.

All I know is, it doesn't go away
hurtinend
King Fissure

Topics: 52

Postby hayleyw » 25 Aug 2015, 16:10

hurtinend wrote:I'm male, no childbirth here, don't know what caused it, cannot relate it to any initial event.

All I know is, it doesn't go away

No childbirth here either. I can't remember ever being constipated particularly either. It seems like a million years ago since I first had symptoms. I can't remember what life was like without it playing a part to some extent.

It does go away eventually. Whether it's weeks, months or years. :dunno:
hayleyw
Salt Bather

Topics: 8