Can an unclean anus cause fistulas?

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Can an unclean anus cause fistulas?

Postby aimonaali » 10 Sep 2015, 14:38

I had LIS almost three years ago and since then I've had a problem where some extra fecies seem to come out after I've finished cleaning after a BM. Not much, usually just enough to leave a stain to the paper when I go to wipe again about 20 minutes after the first cleaning.

Lately I've started to worry about this extra amount of fecies perhaps causing infections and fistulas. Even though I keep myself clean. So do you think my problem can cause fistulas or are they more likely caused by bacteria inside the rectum that I can't clean with wipes?

Thanks.
aimonaali
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 15

Re: Can an unclean anus cause fistulas?

Postby Savaici » 14 Sep 2015, 18:29

I never use wipes. I use sterile dressings, which I wet, and dab with water until clean. I never attempt to clean inside and never ever rub. :affraid: If my behind is sore ( and when things were really bad) I use petroleum jelly, and nothing else. I soak in a Sitz Bath after every BM. I always am careful what I eat. I take Milk of Magnesia every evening, a small amount. I eat a Metamucil cinnamon 'cookie' every day. I don't overload on fibre, just the right amount for my sex and weight. and make sure I drink enough water.

Sorry it took a little time for you to get a reply :smilyhug:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Can an unclean anus cause fistulas?

Postby msimon » 17 Sep 2015, 02:27

This area of the body was designed to handle the bacteria. You can only get an infection when there is a break in the skin somehow. So I think as long as you keep things soft you should be okay. I also do not wipe. I spray the area with water after BMs. Then soak in the tub.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64