Blocked up by hemorrhoid--what should I do?

Lance it? Wait on it?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Blocked up by hemorrhoid--what should I do?

Postby MyBlanket » 17 Oct 2015, 06:19

I'm quite sure I'm totally blocked up by an internal, probably close to thrombosed, hemorrhoid. I strained way too hard during my last BM. I've been very stressed which lead to me not having the urge to #2 for probably three days. I'm taking Miralax and a generic stool softner, applying prep H to what I can, and am drinking a gal+ water/taking fiber supplements, but I'm afraid that even with soft stool the hemorrhoid will still be there, blocking me. I've had re-occurring thrombosed hemorrhoids that swell after any stool I wouldn't label as being very easy, but never this bad.
I'm afraid to eat more because I think I will be adding to the backup. I think I might be able to lance the thing, myself, but if I really did a number on the bloodvessels when I was straining I might bleed quite a bit. I haven't been able to establish a new doc since moving so to see one I would probably have to visit an urgent care clinic. I could wait for it to shrink and hope that it doesn't re-swell on later attempts (I've tried twice now, 12 hours apart), but that could be more days of being backed up.
Like always I'm just thinking about how to manage my next BM, but this difficulty is new and troubling to me.
MyBlanket

Topics: 1

Re: Blocked up by hemorrhoid--what should I do?

Postby anniebee » 17 Oct 2015, 08:47

That is awful. I would not attempt to lance if I were you. You have to get to a dr. I've had constipation with hems but only for a day and it is very distressing. I drank warm water and moved around as much as I could to try to get things going. Thankfully it worked but, your C sounds more serious. Sorry that I have no solid advice for you but really, you need to get some help IMO.
anniebee
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Savaici » 17 Oct 2015, 09:23

Hi MyBlanket and :wel: . Glad you found us!!

First and foremost, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LANCE THIS YOURSELF. In our opinion on the Forum, this would be a very dangerous procedure, and that is our advice.

We are not doctors on here, so we advise you to go to the ER.

Good luck!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby chachacha » 17 Oct 2015, 09:48

You may be blocked up by constipation alone, rather than by the hemmorhoid, because when hemmies get too big, they often prolapse (extend to an outside position on their own). I agree that you should see a doctor though, and DO NOT lance that thing yourself! Good luck!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby MyBlanket » 17 Oct 2015, 14:01

Thank you for your responses, I guess I'll have to contact a doctor. This is really a huge interruption to my schedule--I'm a student and I have midterms all next week.
I've been reading more about internal hemorrhoids http://healthtreatments.org/internal-hemorrhoids/
and they sound exactly like what I've been experiencing. I've been at stage two on that webpage for maybe a year now, I didn't know it was that bad because they always went away and didn't hurt.
Right now I'm am kicking myself for not keeping up with good habits and am concerned with the short term of getting past this. What kind of food should I eat if I'm worried about adding to the blockup? I assume high fiber stuff will be easier to pass in the long run, but what kind of food produces the least waste when eaten?
Also, how am I supposed to position myself throughout the day if I really want this to shrink? I've been in bed until now (3pm) lying down, because I know sitting can make it worse, but I do have work I need to do on my computer and laying in bed is just depressing. I've already skipped some physical activity I had for the day because I don't really feel like moving fast or putting any kind of increase on my blood pressure.
I'll give myself another 24 hours for this to be resolved on its own. If not I'm going to go to a doctor.
MyBlanket

Postby anniebee » 17 Oct 2015, 22:20

Good. Glad to hear you will go to a doctor. In my previous post I said that I only had this for one day. What I meant was I was only constipated for one day at a time, then it would pass. Not three days like you have been.Have you had any success with a BM today? I do not use any stool softeners but I do have applesauce every day and lots of fresh veggies (carrots, cucumbers) and water. I also spend a lot of time lying in bed due to the pain but I do know if you are constipated you just have to move to get things going. I am sorry that you have midterms as that really adds to your stress. Wish I could help you more. I am a weird case because high fibre makes it worse for me as it bulks it up. Applesauce has been my main thing to keep things going smoothly.
anniebee
Salt Bather

Postby MyBlanket » 18 Oct 2015, 13:25

Success!!!! Story below.
Thank you on the follow up post Annie, I actually got some advice along those same lines that helped me out, but the actual thing I believe to be the solution surprised me. I was uncomfortable all day because of stomach pains and the can't-stay-in-one-position-for-long-before-it-hurts phenomenon because of the blockage. I could tell Miralax and the stool softner were working because I started to get lots of gas--each of which felt like something solid because of the blockage. I tried again at ~5pm and had no success, but passing a lot of the gas did help my bloating and comfort. Still, if there had been a clinic open on Saturday near me I would have seen a doctor it was so uncomfortable. It was certainly a feedback loop of stress and pain.
I talked to my dad, who has been through more of the AF & related stuff than I, and he gave me these pieces of advice:
1) Mix the Miralax in Gatorade. I don't know if it helped, but it certainly made it easier to chug because I was kinda getting bored of drinking glass of water after glass of water.
2) Stick the B.R.A.T. diet to reduce waste. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, & Toast (you can have peanut butter on the toast) is what it stands for. Knowing what I should eat was a big relief because I had pretty much stopped eating since the first failed attempt, so afraid I was of making it worse in the long run. Thinking about it after reading Annie's post, cucumbers and other veggies would be good ideas too. I know cucumbers, for all their tastiness, are mostly just water.
3) This was the piece of advice he gave me when he called to check in at 9pm--and it wasn't a conventional piece of advice so take it with a grain of salt. He knows I can be pretty high strung and that it had a big impact on my BM's as a kid (apparently parents notice these things), so he suggested I just relax and have a beer. I said "Well doc, you don't need to tell me twice!" and I had two stouts after dinner, just enough to get myself buzzed. I started to feel the need to go maybe 15 minutes after happy hour set in.
I had to try incredibly hard but eventually one piece came out (I laughed it was a such a relief). I was still in discomfort because other stuff was along the way but stuck, so I kept trying and eventually I had what I would consider to be a complete BM. Now, I will say, it was an incredible effort to make this happen. I am a mid 20's, physically active guy, with no history of heart disease related conditions like obesity or diabetes. If I was afraid I had clots in my CV system or for my heart, I would have stopped and waited to see a doctor or for things to get softer. It was really that much of mind-numbing, can't-breath strain.
I am going to continue to finish this bottle of Miralax and stool softner this week and am promising myself to never miss drinking water or taking fiber supplements again. But I guess the takeaway for anyone else who knows that stress plays a large role in their BM's and constipation is that relaxation (maybe with a little bit of chemical help) can make the difference. But hey, I'm not a doctor, this is just an anecdote. Thank you all for your replies! *relief face*
MyBlanket

Postby anniebee » 19 Oct 2015, 20:44

I am so happy that you are feeling better! Beer has actually helped me before (in more ways than one).LOL Stress for sure, is a huge problem. It is hard to not be stressed when in that kind of pain. Vicious circle and things keep building. I stick to the applesauce as it has never left me constipated.Keep posting as very interested to hear how you are doing.
anniebee
Salt Bather