Diet Tips/ Supplements

Fiber vs. Stool Size

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Diet Tips/ Supplements

Postby donbrown123x » 27 Apr 2015, 19:35

I was diagnoised with an anal fissure. The gastrologist said to increase fiber intake and told me to use Citricel, which I did. The pain just got worse. I eventually realized that with increasing the fiber, the stool also increased in diameter. I realize it makes the stool softer, but also makes it bigger. I have stopped the fiber supplement, and now eating mostly protein with some vegetables/fruit. The stools are much smaller, but the pain is still there. I take Miralax and Docusate Sodium which does help a lot.

Has anyone with an anal fissure experienced larger stools with fiber supplements? If so, what type of diet do you eat to control the size and softness of the stool?
donbrown123x

Topics: 1

Re: Diet Tips/ Supplements

Postby Scientist2516 » 27 Apr 2015, 21:38

Yes, I was using metamucil, and it made my stools big. They were soft, but so big, they were hard to pass.
I stopped using it, and relied on kondremul mineral oil for several weeks. However, I'm told it's not good to take mineral oil - you can inhale tiny amounts into your lungs. If you want to take it, don't take it last thing at night before you lie down.
A lot of people here use miralax. I never used it, but most people say it works very well.

The best stool softening food I ever found is red lentils cooked to a mush. Sweet potatoes are good. Brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, yoghurt, avocado are all good.

I hope this helps.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby donbrown123x » 28 Apr 2015, 17:53

Thanks Scientist2516. The information helps.
donbrown123x

Postby bass.adddict » 06 May 2015, 00:38

I used to eat lots of vegetables with a half cup serving of brown rice. I took 20 ml Cremeffin (cream of magnesia) in the morning and 20 ml before I hit the bed. With that, I used Ispaghol husk 2 teaspoons twice a day. That kept my stools soft, moderately sized and very easy to pass. Helped me heal in 15 days. I added extra virgin olive oil to the vegetables to keep the system lubricated. I only ate protein twice a week. Before going to the bathroom, I lubricated my internal sphincter with Vaseline to help move the stools easily.
bass.adddict

Postby fisslayer » 05 Jun 2015, 01:18

bass.adddict wrote:I used to eat lots of vegetables with a half cup serving of brown rice. I took 20 ml Cremeffin (cream of magnesia) in the morning and 20 ml before I hit the bed. With that, I used Ispaghol husk 2 teaspoons twice a day. That kept my stools soft, moderately sized and very easy to pass. Helped me heal in 15 days. I added extra virgin olive oil to the vegetables to keep the system lubricated. I only ate protein twice a week. Before going to the bathroom, I lubricated my internal sphincter with Vaseline to help move the stools easily.

You only ate protein twice a week? Like literally? what was that like, were you really hungry all day?
fisslayer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby bass.adddict » 09 Jun 2015, 00:29

It was hard I tell my friend. But at least helped me with the healing.
bass.adddict

Postby MandySwift » 26 Oct 2015, 02:56

Supplements will stop to improve the situation once you stopped taking them. Thus a better treatment should be to develop a more healthy diet habit. Hope you've already get rid of pain now.
MandySwift