What causes your fissure issues? Re-tear or new?

IBS attack, anxiety, constipation, exam, etc..

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What causes your fissure issues? Re-tear or new?

Postby Manitourose » 19 Oct 2015, 09:28

Hello guys,

Reaching out for support and out of curiosity. My background is that I came to this board over a year ago after being diagnosed with a simple fistula. It was repaired and about 5 months after I saw another CRS (new city) worried about a re-occurrence of the fistula and was found instead to have a deep internal fissure. It took a few months to fully heal using diltiazem 2x a day, coconut oil during the day and increasing my baths to promote healing.

I recently (last week) had a minor retear. I am using the same protocol. I honestly feel WIPED OUT physically & emotionally from a number of things. I deal with generalized anxiety disorder (still trying to find a therapist in my new city), began developing health fears in the last few years, was recently dx'd with an low-grade abnormal pap and HPV after no new partners and always had a clean bill of health --so a biopsy is scheduled next week, new internist just started me on amitriptyline after being on gabapentin on & off for years (to treat IBS & anxiety) and after a very stressful couple years and recent months taking my boards exams I ended up with a pretty rough bout of IBS and still do not feel great. I think attacks of IBS and anxiety are my key factors to re-tear. I am so tired of the anxiety, IBS and bum issues though. It really holistically is affecting my ability to get started in my new career and live peacefully. :cry: So my question is:

What factors into your new or re-tear of fissures?

If you don't have any factors, a virtual hug will suffice.. ;-), but I'm sure we all have ideas of what leads to our bum issues. :thanx:
Manitourose

Topics: 14

Re: What causes your fissure issues? Re-tear or new?

Postby suzyljank » 19 Oct 2015, 09:54

Hi, I understand how you feel. I have IBS and anxiety also. The best thing for anxiety is a routine. Sounds too easy doesn't it but it really helps. It keeps you busy and when you're busy anxiety lessens. As for you're IBS is it with diarrhea or constipation? Address whichever one you have. Diet does make a difference. It took me years and years to figure out what I could and couldn't eat without consequences and that changes sometimes. When I get really anxious I write my frustrations down on paper, read them out loud and throw them away. It helps me feel better. As for retears have they figured out what caused your fissure. Sometimes it's constipation or a tight muscle, for me it was stenosis. They didn't figure that out until after I had LIS and it didn't help. I had bilateral advancement flaps done a few years ago and it helped so much. You kind of have to find what works for you. Some things help some people and not others. It's an ongoing process. Try to take a deep breath and keep a little journal of what you tried that works and what doesn't. It might just help. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Manitourose » 19 Oct 2015, 14:07

Thanks suzyljank. I really appreciate your response. :) My IBS is triggered by anxiety more than food, its IBS -Mixed alternating between loose stools and hard stools in 1 day at times.
I like your idea of throwing your worries away. Good idea! Will have to try that as part of my box of coping tools. I have had a lot of good CBT therapy and I'm always looking to add things.

Admins : I posted this in the wrong place, meant to place it in "fissures". Can it be moved?
Manitourose

Postby owmybum » 28 Oct 2015, 14:43

I too suffer from anxiety... And am going through a bout of IBS right now. It's hard to break the vicious cycle of angst and IBS..... It often goes hand in hand.
I find that getting out in the fresh air always helps with my anxiety. Somewhere quiet. A brisk walk even if it's for just 20 minutes works a treat.

I came off gabapentin around 6 weeks ago... I didn't know it was prescribed for IBS ?

Here's a big virtual hug for you :smilyhug:

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Manitourose » 28 Oct 2015, 15:05

OMB,

The gabapentin was initially prescribed for anxiety. I have read that it has been prescribed off label for IBS (as it is also off label for anxiety). I went back on it about 1 week ago and things have settled down again. It was when I began titrating off I ended up having more IBS symptoms or rather a new unrelentless grumpy attack. The doctor tried out the other med, but it just made my anxiety worse. So back to what works or at least doesn't cause me more issues.

Past 3 weeks I have had bleeding 2x due to the re-tear of the fissure. Fortunately not much pain, but a "pain in the ass" to revisit. Definitely consistent with anxiety issues too. I was quite upset all weekend about my biopsy and by yesterday experienced a set-back with bleeding. I know I HAVE to get stress/anxiety management under control.

Anything else work for you? I've definitely been exercising daily and walking often. It isn't taking an effect yet, but I believe in time it will.
Manitourose